Question MOBO and RAM is not working properly - Humble Help Request

Mar 1, 2019
Motherboard: Gigabyte para Intel LGA 1151 mATX Z390 M GAMING DDR4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) 2666Mhz DDR4 CL16 Black - CMW16GX4M2A2666C16
Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake Refresh, Cache 9MB, 3.7GHz (4.6GHz Max Turbo), LGA 1151 - BX80684I59600K
Facts: System is well assembled and mounted
Objective: Use my 2 RAM sticks

Issue:
  • When trying to turn the computer on it beeps 5 times
  • Made several tests and realized that the computer can turn on only if using 1 RAM stick on the third slot
  • Made some researches and I have some beliefs but I need you guys knowledge and assistance please

Option 1: Can BIOS update resolve the issue?
Option 2: Can BIOS adjustments on RAM area resolve the issue?
Option 3: If this RAM is not compatible with the MOBO, why would only 1 Stick work
Option 4: I have no clue what im doing and is probably something very simple to do

Something that I notice was when I ran "speechy" software it shows the RAM stick is single channel; but I don't know if this is relevant or not.

Thank you so much for your help!

Feb 22, 2019
Motherboard: Gigabyte para Intel LGA 1151 mATX Z390 M GAMING DDR4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) 2666Mhz DDR4 CL16 Black - CMW16GX4M2A2666C16
Processor: Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake Refresh, Cache 9MB, 3.7GHz (4.6GHz Max Turbo), LGA 1151 - BX80684I59600K
Facts: System is well assembled and mounted
Objective: Use my 2 RAM sticks

Issue:
  • When trying to turn the computer on it beeps 5 times
  • Made several tests and realized that the computer can turn on only if using 1 RAM stick on the third slot
  • Made some researches and I have some beliefs but I need you guys knowledge and assistance please
Option 1: Can BIOS update resolve the issue?
Option 2: Can BIOS adjustments on RAM area resolve the issue?
Option 3: If this RAM is not compatible with the MOBO, why would only 1 Stick work
Option 4: I have no clue what im doing and is probably something very simple to do

Something that I notice was when I ran "speechy" software it shows the RAM stick is single channel; but I don't know if this is relevant or not.

Thank you so much for your help!
What does you MOBO manual say about ram slots?

Mar 1, 2019
Hi Stxnto,
Here it goes

Installing the Memory
Read the following guidelines before you begin to install the memory:
  • Make sure that the motherboard supports the memory. It is recommended that memory of the same
    capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
    (Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)
  • Always turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before installing the
    memory to prevent hardware damage.
  • Memory modules have a foolproof design. A memory module can be installed in only one direction.
    If you are unable to insert the memory, switch the direction.
    Dual Channel Memory Configuration
    This motherboard provides four memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. Enabling DualChannel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth.

The four memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following:Channel A: DDR4_A1, DDR4_A2
Channel B: DDR4_B1, DDR4_B2

Dual Channel Memory Configurations Table
DDR4_B1 DDR4_B2 DDR4_A1 DDR4_A2
DS/SS - - DS/SS - -
2 Modules - - DS/SS - - DS/SS
4 Modules DS/SS DS/SS DS/SS DS/SS

(SS=Single-Sided, DS=Double-Sided, "- -"=No Memory)

Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
  1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one memory module is installed.
  2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.

1. A motherboard bios update often addresses ram issues.
CPU-Z will tell you what your current bios level is.
Look at the available bios updates to see if you are missing an update that fixes ram issues.
Do not try to update just on speculation.
A failed bios flash can render your motherboard useless and be difficult to recover from.

2. Perhaps an increase in the ram voltage past stock levels might fix the problem.
Install one stick that works and increase the ram voltage in the bios a bit.
Shut down , then install the second stick.

3. If your two sticks are not from a single matched kit, that is likely your problem.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
Intel motherboards are usually quite tolerant of mismatched ram, but not 100%.

Read your motherboard manual.
It will tell you which slot to populate if using one stick.
A single stick will operate in single channel mode.
If you install two sticks, they need to be in different channels to get dual channel mode.
Your manual will tell you which slots are preferred for two sticks.

Mar 1, 2019
1. A motherboard bios update often addresses ram issues.
CPU-Z will tell you what your current bios level is.
Look at the available bios updates to see if you are missing an update that fixes ram issues.
Do not try to update just on speculation.
A failed bios flash can render your motherboard useless and be difficult to recover from.

2. Perhaps an increase in the ram voltage past stock levels might fix the problem.
Install one stick that works and increase the ram voltage in the bios a bit.
Shut down , then install the second stick.

3. If your two sticks are not from a single matched kit, that is likely your problem.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
Intel motherboards are usually quite tolerant of mismatched ram, but not 100%.

Read your motherboard manual.
It will tell you which slot to populate if using one stick.
A single stick will operate in single channel mode.
If you install two sticks, they need to be in different channels to get dual channel mode.
Your manual will tell you which slots are preferred for two sticks.

Hi geofelt,
1 - Will check that when get back home
2 - I think the standard is 1.2 volts; how much should I increase it?
3 - It is a matched kit
4 - thanks for the tip