[SOLVED] MOBO backplate 1/4 holes faulty

Jul 20, 2020
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Tomhawk Max

The problem I'm facing is that one of the backplate holes of the MOBO appears to be faulty so when I try to install the cpu fan only 3 of the screws would go all the way in, the last one does go slightly in but it will keep spinning, should I just go ahead and install the cpu fan?

Solution
I will say no - do not do that.

A loose fan may at best be noisy and at worst vibrate and create other problems.

Examine the cpu fan screw carefully and compare to the other screws. Look at the backplate holes for some sign of mismatch, poor manufacturing (out of round), or damage (cracking/splitting).

Ralston18

Titan

A loose fan may at best be noisy and at worst vibrate and create other problems.

Examine the cpu fan screw carefully and compare to the other screws. Look at the backplate holes for some sign of mismatch, poor manufacturing (out of round), or damage (cracking/splitting).

Solution
Jul 20, 2020

I have tried the same screw on all holes, it's that particular hole that's faulty, plus if I push the screw into that hole it will go slightly in without spinning it but that's not the case for other holes.

the stock cooler?
Yes

Jul 20, 2020
No good.
With only 3 pins, you will never get the cooler to mount evenly and cool properly.

As tough as it is to do, send the motherboard back.
I'm going to contact MSI themselves first to see if I can get a backplate only replacement, just had to RMA my GPU with the same retailer too, looks like I'm getting unlucky with every single component.. getting real tired.