[SOLVED] MOBO BIOS wont show any drive in boot priority. Detected as storage device.

Dec 25, 2018
I recently upgraded my mobo from a asus z97-pro to a ws z390 pro. I also upgraded the CPU as well as the RAM.

Specs:
i7-9700k
Asus WS Z390 PRO
2x 16GB DDR4 RAM 2666 Hz
128GB SSD ADATA
1TB Toshiba HDD

When I try to boot up it goes straight to MOBO bios. It sees the drive as storage devices but they wont populate in the "Boot Priority" menu. I have tried switching SATA cables, ports, only having my boot drive connected into the first SATA slot etc. Does anyone have a solution?

Solution
If the new machine booted on the old disk then you are likely good to go . Where problems arise is when the OS on the old machine will not boot on the new hardware. Test it if you like but you are in the green zone. I would not bother with a reinstall and all copying files/folders. Waste of time and will be uncertain in completion as you suggest.
Here's how you can tell. Look at Device Manager, are there any flags for unidentified items ? Likely not, but if so, then just install the drivers from the motherboard support disk for that item.
Why do you expect the drive from the previous OS will boot this machine ? You should plan on a fresh install on a new machine unless certain circumstances apply . Save you data and install windows on a drive connected to the new machine

Dec 25, 2018

I did get it to work, fortunately. I had to go into mobo BIOS settings under boot and switch it from UEFI to Legacy. After that it booted up into windows normally. Why would my performance be crippled? If I switched the CPU, RAM and mobo wouldn't it perform up to spec? Sorry this is my first time doing a major "upgrade" rather than building a PC from scratch as I have done previously.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Dec 25, 2018

Okay, that makes sense. One last question, would doing a clean install then restoring from a backup be an option? I would hope so but now that I think about it the backup would also contain those drivers. My computer is a workstation and has a lot of data on it. If I dont have to go through the pain of re-installing everything I would rather not. But if it's for performances sake I may have to...

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Is your SSD your windows drive? You only need to wipe it if so. And since you can actually boot you can pull anything you need over to a flash drive or the hard drive you have before wiping the SSD

Did you run the benchmark yet? I will be interested in the results sometimes it's not terrible I just like learning from seeing the results

Dec 25, 2018

Yes my SSD is my windows drive, unfortunately. I have an internal HDD for extra storage and an internal SSD for Windows.

No I haven't ran the benchmark yet, I'm currently away from my home desktop computer. I will be home in abut 8 hours then I can run the test.

Dec 25, 2018

What about programs I have installed onto the SSD? Will pasting the files/folders back onto the SSD "re-install" them and give me the ability to open said programs? I suppose so if I also copy the "hidden" files/folders as well.

If the new machine booted on the old disk then you are likely good to go . Where problems arise is when the OS on the old machine will not boot on the new hardware. Test it if you like but you are in the green zone. I would not bother with a reinstall and all copying files/folders. Waste of time and will be uncertain in completion as you suggest.
Here's how you can tell. Look at Device Manager, are there any flags for unidentified items ? Likely not, but if so, then just install the drivers from the motherboard support disk for that item.

Solution
Dec 25, 2018

Thank you! I will do so once I arrive home. That makes me feel much better, I was worried haha.

Dec 25, 2018

I opened my device manager and there was only one flag. In "other devices" under "video controller". Tried clicking update from internet and it was unable to locate a driver. I'm going to try and update the mobo drivers.

Dec 25, 2018

The primary use of my computer is a digital audio workstation. Graphics quality isn't a huge concern for what I do, but having multiple monitors is. It can do 2K resolution as well as 2 monitors which is what I have so it's good enough for me, or has been so far. I've had this card for...maybe 5 years now? It's from my old build.