[SOLVED] MOBO Bottlenecking my GPU?

TLV1991

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2015
Exactly as the title says. Long story short, I recently upgraded from an RX 5700 to a 6700 XT, and I'm pretty sure my MOBO's 3.0 PCI-E slots are whats keeping its benchmark performance only as good as my 5700, rather than better.

My build, for frame of reference:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: RX 6700XT
RAM: 8GBx4 DDR4-3200 CL16 (G.Skill Trident Z Royal to be specific)
MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe(boot drive), 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB SATA
PSU: EVGA G3 750W 80+ Gold

As I said, I'm reasonably certain it's my MOBO and the 3.0 ports causing some degree of bottlenecking- but I'll admit, I'm savvy with hardware but not savvy. I wouldn't know where to begin looking at my options beyond going onto PC-Partpicker and filtering by compatibility. And I'm also not particularly savvy in doing much more troubleshooting than updating the drivers, so I'm open to other options. Can't say I'd be fond of replacing my MOBO to begin with, they're just a chore.

So tl;dr version: Upgraded GPU, pretty sure my MOBO is bottlenecking it, looking for advice on what I can do to optimize my build.

EDIT: Including a comparison of the benchmarks on my 5700 vs 6700XT
44zyyHV.png

4kPWQex.png

Last edited:

TLV1991

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2015
How do you figure this "bottlenecking"?

NOTE: 'bottleneck' is one of the most misused and misunderstood terms today.
Pretty directly, despite being a direct upgrade- from RX 5700 to RX 6700XT- when I run a benchmark on PerformanceTest for my 6700XT now, it's just about identical to the scores I was getting with my RX5700. FPS performance in most of my games isn't significantly different as well. I won't say I was expecting a mind-blowing change, but I had figured with half again as much memory and the slightly faster core clock, I'd have gotten more than just a slight performance increase.

I'll see if I can't take the time to reinstall my old GPU and more directly compare the benchmarks.

USAFRet

Titan
Pretty directly, despite being a direct upgrade- from RX 5700 to RX 6700XT- when I run a benchmark on PerformanceTest for my 6700XT now, it's just about identical to the scores I was getting with my RX5700. FPS performance in most of my games isn't significantly different as well. I won't say I was expecting a mind-blowing change, but I had figured with half again as much memory and the slightly faster core clock, I'd have gotten more than just a slight performance increase.

I'll see if I can't take the time to reinstall my old GPU and more directly compare the benchmarks.
FPS is mostly controlled by the CPU.

Putting in a better GPU lets you turn up the graphics level, at the same FPS as before.

TLV1991

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2015
44zyyHV.png

4kPWQex.png

And back with the benchmark comparisons. 5700 at the top, 6700XT at the bottom.

Admittedly, now that I'm actually paying attention to the in-depth parts rather than just looking at the overall score, maybe I'm just overinflating the importance of that overall. As I said before, I'm savvy but not savvy. I like nice, simple, number metrics comparisons.

So overall, probably not the MOBO then- but I still feel like there's more I could be doing for my build, ya know? Certainly, something seems to be going on that has it performing below average on the DirectX9 and 12 fields.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm still happy with my PC on the whole, and I could be content if I did nothing more than future proof it with the 6700XT upgrade. Just trying to fine tune the performance, and maybe get a little more knowledgeable with PCs than "Well, PCPartPicker says they're compatible, so off to the races then."