mobo can do 2133mhz ram. my ram is 2400. what do i do?

Shrugg

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
Here is what I have:

ASRock Z170 Pro4
Intel Core i3-6100
ASUS ENGT520 Silent - NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 (Terrible, I know, but it is making my display more stable. See http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3117814/hdmi-display-black-unplug-plug-back.html)
Crucial Technology 8GB DDR4-2400

So I bought the motherboard hoping I would upgrade my CPU one day to one that I could overclock. Well I was pleasantly surprised that my motherboard had a new UEFI version that allowed me to OC non-K Skylake processors, which includes my i3-6100. I bought the i3-6100 because it was the best CPU for the money, and now that I can OC it, i can squeeze out even more bang for my buck. I learned that OC disabled the integrated graphics, so I knew i had to wait until I installed a video card until I OC'd.

So recently, I installed that horrible video card, thinking it would serve my needs (it actually does, for the time being), and i wanted to finally OC my CPU. While researching OCing, i learned that I have to adjust my BCLK frequency, which also affects other things, such as memory.

So when I do adjust that BCLK, is it the RAM that is affected when memory is affected? Or is there memory built into the CPU? I'm under the impression that it is the RAM that is affected. So I have to adjust the BCLK to get my desired CPU frequency, and then I have to adjust voltage after stability/temperature tests, right? But before that, I have to make sure i adjust my memory speed to what is supported by my RAM, right?

Now since my RAM is 2400, I have two questions:

1) Prior to any OC at all, does that 2400 RAM bottleneck my CPU, which is 3700 Mhz? Am I losing 1300 MHz of potential performance by having such low end RAM frequency?

2) Since I do want to OC to, say, 4.5GHz, will that be pointless without higher frequency RAM?

If yes is the answer to any of those 2 questions, I now have this question: Can I OC my current RAM to something closer to the frequency of my CPU?

Also, my motherboard is compatible with RAM at 2400 Mhz, non OC. So did I choose a motherboard that can only handle 2400 Mhz memory, but can handle my CPU's frequency of 3.7Ghz, like it's value is only attained when OCing and getting rid of that 1300MHz loss?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
1)
Prior to any OC at all, does that 2400 RAM bottleneck my CPU, which is 3700 Mhz? Am I losing 1300 MHz of potential performance by having such low end RAM frequency?
don't mix up the RAM frequency and the cpu frequency. You can't do anything like that. And the info for the RAM sweet spot, read the review. http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-intel-z170-finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340

2) If you set the RAM in XMP, and oc cpu to the 4.5ghz(?), I don't know you can reach it or not, and your RAM will run little bit over 2400MHZ, I don't know what exactly frequency is, sorry.
1)
Prior to any OC at all, does that 2400 RAM bottleneck my CPU, which is 3700 Mhz? Am I losing 1300 MHz of potential performance by having such low end RAM frequency?
don't mix up the RAM frequency and the cpu frequency. You can't do anything like that. And the info for the RAM sweet spot, read the review. http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-intel-z170-finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340

2) If you set the RAM in XMP, and oc cpu to the 4.5ghz(?), I don't know you can reach it or not, and your RAM will run little bit over 2400MHZ, I don't know what exactly frequency is, sorry.

Solution