Mobo can't see HDD

Toosdey

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I got a new Mobo, SSD and HDD. The Mobo can see my SSD fine, when I look in BiOS it has the model name right there. However, it can't even tell my HDD is plugged in. I've never done a multiple storage unit setup like this, so I'm not sure what is going wrong. Its also not showing up in Disk Managment.

I saw the Sata drivers on gigabyte site, but I'm not sure if I need em or how to install em. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5496#dl

I've reseated the HDD cord power and stat cords. I also swapped the it witht he ones the SSD is using. The SSD is still good, but the HDD aint showing up. The power plug is on the same cord as the plug powering the SSD. The Sata cords for the SSD and the HDD are both ones that came with the mobo.

One thing I just noticed is that even when the HDD is the only thing plugged in it still doesn't show up on the BiOS and is disturbingly silent. Did I draw bad luck and get a DOA HDD?

The Mobo is a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI. The firmware is updated to F20 at the moment
The OS on the SSD, if relevant, is Win 10
The HDD is a Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003
The SSD is a SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5

Solution
One thing I just noticed is that even when the HDD is the only thing plugged in it still doesn't show up on the BiOS and is disturbingly silent. Did I draw bad luck and get a DOA HDD?

try this, get a screw driver, place handle on your ear and other end against the case of the HDD (I am not kidding here) (or if you rather use a stethoscope go ahead) and turn on computer, listen if you hear the spin up of the drive if you don't, then I would say DOA

PS: I would do this after swapping power connector with ssd and Hdd. to ensure the connections I am using is properly working.
Hey there, @Toosdey!

I'd advise you to check how the HDD gets detected in another working PC, if you have access to one. Check if it will be able to power up properly in the other system. It might also be a good idea to reseat the connections to that drive in yours as well. Make sure that it's properly connected to the PSU (via the Molex cable) and to the mobo (Via the SATA cable). If it's still not powering up in different ports and with different SATA cables, then I'm afraid you could be dealing with a failed HDD. If you have a spare mechanical drive, check how your system will recognize it.

Since it's relatively new, you shouldn't face any issues with the RMA procedure and get a replacement from the reseller's/manufacturer's customer support soon enough.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting, though! :)
SuperSoph_WD

try this, get a screw driver, place handle on your ear and other end against the case of the HDD (I am not kidding here) (or if you rather use a stethoscope go ahead) and turn on computer, listen if you hear the spin up of the drive if you don't, then I would say DOA

PS: I would do this after swapping power connector with ssd and Hdd. to ensure the connections I am using is properly working.

Solution