[SOLVED] Mobo CPU problem

Jul 3, 2019
Hey guys. I'm trying to build using an aorus b450 mobo and a ryzen 2700x inside a dell inspiron gaming 7450 case and the dell stock psu which delivers 460 volts. The problem is that it won't boot. the mobo is saying that there is a problem with the cpu as the status light is red. My guess at the problem is that there is not enough power draw. The psu has an atx12v 4pin header whilst the mobo has an 8 pin socket. If I get an adapter for the cpu power pin from 4pin to 8 pin. will this help? If you have any other shots at the problem please do say. I trying to avoid getting a new psu but if I really have to I will.

Solution
I believe you need an 8 pin connector for the CPU power for it to work right. By using eight pins they can provide more power to the CPU with out having to use larger wires. It really requires a power supply that has that plug. If you use an adapter (4 to 8)you are taking a chance of drawing too much current thru the 4 wire connector .
Hey guys. I'm trying to build using an aorus b450 mobo and a ryzen 2700x inside a dell inspiron gaming 7450 case and the dell stock psu which delivers 460 volts. The problem is that it won't boot. the mobo is saying that there is a problem with the cpu as the status light is red. My guess at the problem is that there is not enough power draw. The psu has an atx12v 4pin header whilst the mobo has an 8 pin socket. If I get an adapter for the cpu power pin from 4pin to 8 pin. will this help? If you have any other shots at the problem please do say. I trying to avoid getting a new psu but if I really have to I will.
4 to 8 pin should work providing wire is the right gauge but I would question the PSU considering power hungry GPU. I wouldn't even think of a PSU with less than 550w on that combination.

Jul 3, 2019
I checked the estimated wattage on PC part picker and it totaled up to something like 370w. That's the reason I didn't go for changing my PSU. Also, I already upgraded my GPU with a ryzen 2300 CPU inside and it worked just fine. And also the error is said to be from the CPU. But thx for the advice. In the future, I'm going to build a pc up from scratch. seems way easier.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I checked the estimated wattage on PC part picker and it totaled up to something like 370w. That's the reason I didn't go for changing my PSU. Also, I already upgraded my GPU with a ryzen 2300 CPU inside and it worked just fine. And also the error is said to be from the CPU. But thx for the advice. In the future, I'm going to build a pc up from scratch. seems way easier.

You have to consider that you need some reserve left in the tank.460w is scraping by.I personally would at least get a 600w or a good 550w psu.

lynx1021

Distinguished
I believe you need an 8 pin connector for the CPU power for it to work right. By using eight pins they can provide more power to the CPU with out having to use larger wires. It really requires a power supply that has that plug. If you use an adapter (4 to 8)you are taking a chance of drawing too much current thru the 4 wire connector .

Solution