[SOLVED] Mobo dead, how to access striped volume externally from laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2020
I have a dead PC with 2 data drives that are windows striped (not hardware raid-0). If I buy a usb raid enclosure, do you think windows will recognize them as a dynamic disc? If not, is there a way to access it externally without a desktop? Thanks.

Solution
You could probably assemble a RAID with two separate USB enclosures using a data recovery tool such as Reclaime or DMDE. DMDE will mount the virtual RAID volume and allow you to save the files to another drive. The software costs US$20.

There is a free Linux software RAID tool called mdadm, but I don't know how it would deal with USB drives,
Apr 27, 2020
And this is exactly WHY you see us preaching backups here. Your data is, for all intents and purposes, gone. A backup would have had you back up and running in a couple of hours or so.
Thanks for the advice, my data is not gone. I can barrow a pc from a friend and access the dynamic disk. I am only asking is there a way to do it from a laptop.

You could probably assemble a RAID with two separate USB enclosures using a data recovery tool such as Reclaime or DMDE. DMDE will mount the virtual RAID volume and allow you to save the files to another drive. The software costs US$20.

There is a free Linux software RAID tool called mdadm, but I don't know how it would deal with USB drives,

Solution
Thank you for your answer. I am looking for any external solution if might be available anyway. Regards.

Not for your setup. Your drives data is cut up in chunks between two disks, to read how it's cut up you need the original configuration for the RAID, which means the computer it was on. If "dead PC" means dead motherboard, you can buy the exact same model motherboard and it should work then.

Apr 27, 2020
As with hundreds of other threads here, all this could have been avoided with a simple backup routine.
As I say again, I am simply looking for a an easy solution to make those drives working again if there is any. I have all of it in cloud but prefer local access. I don't wanna download 3tb of data while I have the physical disks in front of me.

USAFRet

Titan
As I say again, I am simply looking for a an easy solution to make those drives working again if there is any. I have all of it in cloud but prefer local access. I don't wanna download 3tb of data while I have the physical disks in front of me.
It needs a similar "software RAID 0".

As mentioned above, there might be a couple of tools that would do this. Assuming, of course, you have the proper individual enclosures. Your USB RAID enclosure is not that.

And by "backups", I did not necessarily mean up and down from the cloud. Local is just fine.

Having the physical drives in front of you doesn't matter much if you can't access the data.

Apr 27, 2020
It needs a similar "software RAID 0".

As mentioned above, there might be a couple of tools that would do this. Assuming, of course, you have the proper individual enclosures. Your USB RAID enclosure is not that.

And by "backups", I did not necessarily mean up and down from the cloud. Local is just fine.

Having the physical drives in front of you doesn't matter much if you can't access the data.

Thnx for all of your answers. The fast way is borrow a similar desktop from a friend or slowly download the data from cloud. I guess thats the summary here. Regards, all

popatim

Titan
Was this raid Windows Storage Spaces or Window Intel RST that made the raid.

Windows storage space can be moved to the new Windows (same version) and be recognized as long as it wasn't encrypted (needs a password)

Intel RST would need to be moved to another Intel build that is also in Raid mode.

In both case I would recommend making sector images of both drives in case something happens and you need to put them back to exactly the way they were before.

Seems like a lot of work trying to buy a raid enclosure or another system if you have the data backed up, start the copy, go away for a while or overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.