[SOLVED] Mobo dead on arrival?

Jan 5, 2022
Hi guys. Building a new system with Ryzen 5000 series (Amd Ryzen 7 5800 X 8 core) on a Gigabyte B550 gaming X V2 motherboard. The motherboard needs to be Qflashed with a usb stick to upgrade the bios since the cpu is from the Ryzen 5000 series. However when I connect the 24 pin and 12 V power cables from the PSU it seems like the board is not powering up. When I press the Qflash button there is no LED flashing. The power suply (850W) is brand new and I tried it both with a psu tester and another board, it worked fine on both occasions. To check and see if the board has any power at all I connected a fan which didn't spin. I used the same fan on another motherboard with the same psu and it worked fine.
I am quiet baffled by it and considering that nothing but the power cables is connected to the board, am I correct to assume that the board is dead on arrival?
I appreciate your help with this.

Solution
Wild stab at this, since Lutfij might not be around right now and you might want to get things to work.
Most of the fan functions might need CPU to work which would be why they wont spin.

Motherboard mentioned here is not your exact type but... Gigabyte B550 and ryzen 5000 cpu used in it give it a good chance to succeed.

in short, USB stick, Fat32, maximum size of 16GB suggested.
plug into correct USB port, linked manual should tell that.
Press Q-flash button, do NOT try to power motherboard normally.
and few other parts like connecting 24 pin and 8-pin power connectors

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

850W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. Please include the make and model of the unit. If the unit has been in service, include the age of the PSU. As for the motherboard, there's a lot of confusing info on Gigabyte's site, starting from how Q-Flash should be used using this guide, which is quite old at this point, the info in your motherboard manual is also partial. My query is, have you tried firing up the motherboard with the processor and a stick of ram + discrete GPU to see if your board came with the right BIOS version out of the factory(or your seller)?

Jan 5, 2022
Thank you for your reply. The PSU is a brand new corsair rmx series RM850x 850 watt and it works fine. I haven't tried to run the motherboard with a cpu yet since it won't boot with a Ryzen 5000 series cpu unless it has been qflashed. The issue is that it seems like there is no power in the board, even when I connect a separate fan to it, it doesn't spin.

Wild stab at this, since Lutfij might not be around right now and you might want to get things to work.
Most of the fan functions might need CPU to work which would be why they wont spin.

Motherboard mentioned here is not your exact type but... Gigabyte B550 and ryzen 5000 cpu used in it give it a good chance to succeed.

in short, USB stick, Fat32, maximum size of 16GB suggested.
plug into correct USB port, linked manual should tell that.
Press Q-flash button, do NOT try to power motherboard normally.
and few other parts like connecting 24 pin and 8-pin power connectors

Solution
Jan 5, 2022
Thank you for your reply. I have done all of this but when I press the qflash button there is no indicator that it is working, meaning there is no LED flashing.

Only indications I can find as to why it should not work are:
USB stick is not USB2.0 even if port is 3.2 (for some reason, older is better)
USB stick has too big capacity
BIOS file is not named right and/or is not at root of the drive

past that, only way to go forward in "is MB dead" is.. to stick multimeter to q-flash USB port +5V and GND pins to see if it powers things up but... even that could be problematic since MB might detect nothing connected and power down faster than you can see change.
not to mention sticking things to small usb port is good way to short said +5 to ground.

Then I'm stumped and possibly only reasons I can think of why it wont work are:
It's already same version. (not sure if Q-flash checks or flashes with anything you put in)
or
It's broken

the first could be tried as Luftij mentioned by adding CPU, ram stick and GPU which are mandatory for normal power-up

Jan 5, 2022
Also one more thing; if you are trying to upgrade the bios to make the board compatible with Ryzen 5000 series it would help if you start first with the F10 update (for gigabyte motherboards) and then work your way up to the latest version once you got the system going.