Mobo dead! Should I Upgrade my PC to latest gen or just buy a used mobo?

Nov 1, 2018
Hey guys,

My motherboard died a couple of days ago and I am thinking of what to do. My current PC Specs are:
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
CPU: I5-4690K ( Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4600 )
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 Windforce
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

So the MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard is out of the picture now. Should I buy a used motherboard around 100 euros which gives the ability for OC. eg. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Asus-H97M-PLUS-Original-Used-Desktop-Motherboard-For-Intel-H97-Socket-LGA-1150-For-i7/32808414256.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.324.67f43c00CRlTTk

Or sell my current CPU and DDR3 RAM and buy another new Gen Mobo, CPU and RAM? And should it be Intel or Ryzen?
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/hDQKMZ

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!

Well, the i5 4690k still does a great job in gaming especially if overclocked. You should not upgrade the CPU+mobo+ram since the 4690k pairs well with your r9 290.
If you really want to upgrade something in your PC I would rather look into switching that R9 290 to a GTX1070 or 1070ti

I would just change the motherboard.
Also the one you linked is a H97 chipset and you won't be able to overclock on it.
You should be looking at Z97 chipset motherboards if you want to OC your CPU.

Tough call. As the owner of a 4670k OC’d to 4.3Ghz which is basically the same cpu I would sell the cpu and RAM. My cpu still does an ok job but in more and more AAA games it won’t hold a minimum of 60fps. It is showing its age and the limitations of quad core for gaming, quad core is entry level these days.

Personally I’d rather invest in a modern platform that is higher than ‘entry’ level. Before the motherboard failed in the games you played did you find the cpu limiting at all?

Hey,
Personally I would get the motherboard for now, then WAIT and do a system rebuild with specs something like this:

1) 8-core Zen3 (Ryzen) such as R7-4700
2) 16GB DDR5
3) supported motherboard with PCIe v4.0 (I believe that will be AM5 socket)
4) AMD NAVI or comparable graphics card

*With the shift to 7nm CPU's coming, and PCIe v4.0 coming soon(ish), and a few other changes I think it's worth to wait maybe two more years.

It mostly boils down to how happy you are right now.

**also, I don't think any current graphics cards (possibly newest RTX2000 series from NVidia) support DSC. It's a compression technique that the monitor and graphics card BOTH must support.... Nvidia has now (Asus/Acer) 4K monitors that work at 144Hz but to get full 4:4:4 support you need to drop the refresh rate to 98Hz.

With DSC you get 4:4:4 at up to 4K/240Hz.

Tough call. As the owner of a 4670k OC’d to 4.3Ghz which is basically the same cpu I would sell the cpu and RAM. My cpu still does an ok job but in more and more AAA games it won’t hold a minimum of 60fps. It is showing its age and the limitations of quad core for gaming, quad core is entry level these days.

Personally I’d rather invest in a modern platform that is higher than ‘entry’ level. Before the motherboard failed in the games you played did you find the cpu limiting at all?

I don't know about you but my secondary rig with the i5 2500k@4.6 GHz and a GTX 1060 6GB gets to 60fps and above in a lot of titles at 1080p high/ultra. I'm really finding the GPU to be the limiting factor most of the time. Switching to my GTX 1070 from my main rig sees the i5 2500k push 100+ fps in the same titles.

From my perspective upgrading his GPU will benefit him much more, rather than the whole platform.

*what is the WARRANTY expiration for that motherboard?

I don't know how Gigabyte does it but some places you just go to the proper country link for Gigabyte and end up putting in the SERIAL for your board. Some warranties go by either the MANUFACTURING DATE or the date sold.

Nov 1, 2018

I am not a hardcore gamer and I wouldnt want to give money now for a GPU. I am okay with this one. The problem is whether I should update now or buy a used mobo and wait for now. :)

Nov 1, 2018

Its an MSI motherboard, not a Gigabyte

Well in that case you should definitely just replace the mobo.
As I said earlier go with a Z97 chipset board if you care about OCing.
Also you won't get any warranty from AliExpress... I bought many things from there and the delivery times are long(20-30 days usually) .

Personally I'd hold on for now and wait for the next year ryzen 7nm chips.

Since you're buying used you're not getting warranty either way, so you should be looking for local deals.