[SOLVED] MOBO died & replaced, now can’t boot.

Brainz89

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Hi,

PC powered off mid use, assumed PSU (10 years old) replaced, still didn’t work, replaced mobo, ‘worked’. Gigabyte AUROS ultra gaming 7 died after just over two years…

Specs:

ASUS TUF Z390-plus (wi-if)
i7-8700k @ default
32gb G.SKILL
ASUS 1070ti
Old 128gb SSD
1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
1TB Western Digital 3D NAND SATA

2x storage HDDs

When booting into either the Crucial or WD drive I get the 0xc000000f error.

By swapping around SATA cables and changing BIOS settings at random I have been able to get into Windows twice, using it for hours with no issue, then won’t work with same set up at next reboot.

On the second reboot I made a clone of the 128gb drive onto the empty WD drive (been meaning to move windows for a while), neither boots (both 0xc000000f).

Have attempted to repair using win10 launched from USB, but only reach a black screen with flashing underscore.

The 128gb doesn’t appear in the drop down options under boot option #1, #2, etc, but does appear under the boot override list.

Notes:
I’m aware that using the m2 slots on this mob disables some of the SATA ports (wanted an MSI board but I could only find this TUF and another board in stock)

Occasionally it’ll pass the POST screen into Windows Boot Manager, and lists Windows 7 as the only OS to boot. No idea why.
The USB appears in the BIOS twice, both as USB 3.0 and UEFI: USB, Parition 1 (30.7gb).

I’ve done a case/system transfer before when I originally upgraded to my present 8700k system from a 930, with that same 128 with no issues.

All help greatly appreciated.

Solution
I'd go with a completely fresh install of Windows. Create brand new installation media and install Windows fresh. Remove all storage devices except the one you want to install Windows on. Since you messed around with the BIOS settings, I'd go back to default settings. Install Windows. Then install all of your new motherboard's drivers. There are too many problems that occur if you are trying to migrate an existing Windows install to a new motherboard - it's totally worth a fresh install.

Brainz89

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Yes?
I’ve booted into windows and activated it with no problem. Subsequently, it hasn’t been able to load back in.
As stated, have tried loading in via USB without success - it brings up a black screen with flashing underscore when I select that as the boot option.

Brainz89

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Recreated the installation USB and can now get as far as 'Press any key to boot from USB...' but it freezes at the point of actually pressing a key, progressing no further.

Any help?

larkspur

Distinguished
I'd go with a completely fresh install of Windows. Create brand new installation media and install Windows fresh. Remove all storage devices except the one you want to install Windows on. Since you messed around with the BIOS settings, I'd go back to default settings. Install Windows. Then install all of your new motherboard's drivers. There are too many problems that occur if you are trying to migrate an existing Windows install to a new motherboard - it's totally worth a fresh install.

Solution

Brainz89

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019

Ok,

1. I've removed all storage except for the Western Digital M2 I want to install Windows on.
  2. I've loaded default settings on my BIOS.
2a. This resets 'Use CSM' to Disabled. With CSM disabled, the BIOS is not detecting the WD M2. Therefore, I've enabled CSM.
This is configured as so:

Boot device control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot from network devices: Legacy only
Boot from Storage Devices: UEFI only
Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices: Legacy only

For kicks, tried booting into the M2, still getting 0xc000000f.

So, created a fresh installation media (after formatting the USB drive) using Rufus with the following settings:

Rufus settings screenshot

Booted up. See two UEFI USB partitions and a plain USB partition...

First boots back into the BIOS, as before,
Second UEFI partition gives some kind of INFO screen including:

'INFO: Checking if target partition needs the NTFS service
WARN: An NTFS driver service is already loaded.

It states that it's loading the volume with the name I gave it (UEFI Recovery), 'searching for x64 EFI bootloader'

INFO: launching 'efi\boot\bootx64.efi'
then finally:

FAIL: Load failure: [3] Unsupported.

Attempting to boot into the 'USB 3.0' option takes me to some corrupted screen, 3/5 black and 2/5 coloured pixels. Pressing any button on that screen reboots.

Loaded full defaults in BIOS and booted into USB, and again got the 'INFO & WARN & FAIL' messages.

I've tried following various Microsoft forum instructions for Rufus settings etc, does someone have a definitive set?

TRENDING THREADS