Mobo does not boot from new sata drive

gagmani

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I have an asus motherboard P5GZ-MX.It has one ide connector and 4 sata connectors.My old sata hard disk used to work well until it got damaged with power failure in our area.Then I bought a new hard disk WD 500 GB caviar green.The seller installed my Linux OS on his computer and gave it to me.But when I tried to boot it on my computer it just hangs at bios and nothing happens.Its name does appear in bios but it just hangs the bios and gives me no option to change bios settings. I updated my bios to latest version,but nothing changes.I tried hd on another mobo,it works great.I had that mobo for an year and this mobo was in my friend's PC.Last week I had to return his mobo back and the problem haunts me again.It was just a temporary solution.Now I must find a solution to this or buy a new mobo.I cannot buy a new mobo as it is working fine.Moreover I have not enough money at this time to upgrade my pc.Please help me.Don't suggest me to buy new hardware.I have an 60 GB wd ide hard disk,I can use that if it helps.

What port did you connect your drive to?
Your motherboard manual indicates that it has to be connected to one of the Red ports (SATA1 or SATA2) in order for it to be recognized as a boot drive.

If you had it connected to one of the Black ports (SATA or SATA4) it’s recognized as a data/storage drive.

gagmani

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Well I guess you are asking me to put it in red one.Well no result with any one of those four ports,be it red(master) or black(slave). I always put my sata cable port into SATA1 or red port.I don't know why it just hangs the bios.Does it mean my HD is too new for my mobo?It could easily boot sata drives ranging from 160 GB to 320 GB in past.As I said earlier,there is nothing wrong with my hard drive,It works well in other mobo's.It has nothing to do with os support or hd capacity limit as modern mobo can support TB's of hard disk memory.

I think there is no industry standard or need for sata master and slave drives.It is just an Asus implementation.Ther is no jumper settings for western digital sata drives.Jumpers are there,but for other purposes like SSC,OPT1,OPT2 and PM2.I don't know what they are but I can definitely say they will do anything good to me.Have you any other idea regarding this problem? Thank you for your quick reply.

TRENDING THREADS