Question Mobo does not power up when CPU is installed

Mar 3, 2021
Specs: MSI B550 Gaming Plus with Ryzen 5 3600. Thermaltake 600W PSU

When I plug just the power into the motherboard, not a single thing else, it powers on fine. As soon as I seat the CPU, nothing at all.

I’m assuming this is a bad CPU, but can anyone confirm or offer any more insight?

the 24 pin power connector, the CPU power connector, the GPU power connectors if you have any on it, 1 stick of RAM and the CPU needs to be installed for a PC to post.

Do you have a GPU? That CPU does not have integrated graphics so that system needs a GPU.

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Specs: MSI B550 Gaming Plus with Ryzen 5 3600. Thermaltake 600W PSU

When I plug just the power into the motherboard, not a single thing else, it powers on fine. As soon as I seat the CPU, nothing at all.

I’m assuming this is a bad CPU, but can anyone confirm or offer any more insight?
"nothing at all" - when turned on, even the fans do not spin?

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Correct, no fans. System was working fine two days ago, now suddenly won’t turn on. Replaced PSU and MOBO already.
If you replace the CMOS battery. It's funny, but I know of such cases. Next, check the power button on the case. Complexity hides behind simple. And finally, remove the CPU cooler, turn on the computer and check if the CPU heats up.

Mar 3, 2021
It’s not in the case currently. On a non-conductive surface on my workbench. I’ll try replacing the CMOS battery. With the CPU plugged in the mobo is not powering up at all, so I doubt it would get hot.