MoBo doesnt support CPU, what should I take?

Laureon

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
I had a threat with the diea to change from AMD to Intel, but it'd cost me too much for my pockts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3379697/cpu-motherboard-recomendations.html

My problem is, my CPU is always at hight temp even when idle.

vi1pgm.jpg

My MoBo is m5a78l-m/usb3

I'm about to buy a new mobo, but I'm not sure if that could solve my problem.

People keep telling me my mobo is low end and its not comapctible with my FX 8120.

So, I'm in doubt if a GIGABYTE p/ AMD AM3+ ATX GA-970A-UD3P would fix it.

Also I found the GA-970A-UD3P, which is more expansive.

Which one should I take? I just want to make my computer stopping over heating and turning off.
Latelly I only play League of Legends and wach some Netflix.

Laureon

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016

ATX GA-970A-D3P would work as well? Its a bit cheaper.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED

Laureon

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016

Someone before told me something about 4+1 and 8+2 stuff indeed, and pointed that my mobo had poor structure and no heatsinks on its VRM (or something like that. So guess MoBo is really the problem here.

And as we speak, someone else, just suggested me to go for a fx6300, as its less demanding and would work with my current MoBo, sicne its 95w.

I just want a temporally solution, as next year I might get a new Intel or something.

Laureon

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016

I guess I'll stick with the Fx6300;
Its cheaper, would be easier to isntall isntead of replacing the whole MB, and guess would be easier to sell later when I switch to another intel build.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
you can also sell the heatsink if you are keeping the watercooling solution

that mainboard is not ideal for overclocking so don't go hard overclocking that fx, the 8120, you can sell it and use it to soften the expense of the fx you are going to buy

a second hand fx is often sold at 30 dollars, keep a eye on that, a possibility

Laureon

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016

Indeed. I'll take my chances with the FX6300.

Thanks everybody, apreciated it!

Laureon

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016

I'll keep that in mind. My 8120 is like 4 years old, but guess I could try to sell, anything helps!

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you offer it to sell it, the worst it could happen is that no one buys it!

you can keep it as plan b, a new build with a stronger mainboard, the plan a with the fx6300 should keep you entertained for at least this year

next year you can seel the mainboard, ram and cpu combo and move to new intel or amd combo

what most of us do

lakimens

Honorable

That is not true, it is stated on ASUS's website that it supports up to 140W CPU's and the motherboard is tested for it.

Laureon

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
I followed someone suggestion, and got a fx6300, and my temperature dropped to 45, from 83. Guess I should be fine now untill next year when I get a new build :)
Tyvm for your time, guys!