Question Mobo driver and nvidia driver “not compatible with OS”

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Partitioned hard drive and now mobo not detecting gpu

Long story short my psu was bad which I thought was my hard drive so I partitioned it and I no longer have my driver installation disc that came with my mobo. My pc is running fine but I think I am missing a driver because my pc is not detecting my gpu at all not even in my bios it says both my pci-e slots are empty and gpu fan doesn’t start at all but gpu was fine prior to my psu failing. I contacted asus(mobo manufacturer) but they won’t help without a serial number which I can not find on my mobo. I installed all the drivers on their website that pertain to my mobo but when I open the file and click on “asussetup” it says “asussetup does not support this operating system wnt_10.0p_64”. In my system about it says I have win10 64 but and in my system information it says my motherboard is the asus z170-p d3. Also when I attempt to install nvidia drivers it says my OS isn’t compatible with the drivers I selected. Plz help

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
windows 10 up to date?
Yes I even reinstalled it. Last night I reinstalled windows again and took out my cmos battery for 15 mins. My gpu fans spin but they spin one full rotation and stop for 2-3 seconds and repeat but still doesn’t show in my bios it says the pci slots are empty and when I try to install nvidia graphics drivers it still says no compatible hardware and OS isn’t compatible

Last edited:

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Yes I even reinstalled it. Last night I reinstalled windows again and took out my cmos battery for 15 mins. My gpu fans spin but they spin one full rotation and stop for 2-3 seconds and repeat but still doesn’t show in my bios it says the pci slots are empty and when I try to install nvidia graphics drivers it still says no compatible hardware and OS isn’t compatible
Before my psu failed everything was running fine my gpu was running fine I had the same OS and no issues with nvidia but since I reinstalled windows i haven’t been able to install nvidia or get my gpu working

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
I used the latest installation media and I checked if windows had any updates and I am up to date
I just realized my pc isn’t booting from my hard drive it’s booting from my ssd and I see my hard drive in my bios but when I go to boot priorities it doesn’t show my hard drive. I just unplugged my ssd and windows won’t boot so I’m reinstalling on my hdd

Colif

Win 11 Master
seems its an old Asus driver problem, i can see it going back to 2016.

First: double-check that you downloaded the Windows 10 64-bit versions of the drivers, rather than the Windows 10 32-bit versions.

Second: check that your drives are set to AHCI and not IDE in the BIOS. I don't know why that breaks Asus' installers, but it does.

Thirdly: if the drivers you've downloaded have an asussetup.exe and a setup.exe, run setup.exe and ignore asussetup.exe.

its possible win 10 already has the chipset drivers for motherboard now.

did you try the chipset drivers from here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/90591/Intel-Z170-Chipset

where did you try to get Nvidia drivers from? What OEM made the GPU?

I just realized my pc isn’t booting from my hard drive it’s booting from my ssd and I see my hard drive in my bios but when I go to boot priorities it doesn’t show my hard drive. I just unplugged my ssd and windows won’t boot so I’m reinstalling on my hdd
why do you want it on hdd when ssd is so much better choice for boot drive.

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
So basically it seems like my pci slots aren’t on. I went to the asus driver download site and downloaded every driver for my mobo and from what I read the chipset drivers are what control sm bus and pci-e controllers. Windows is up to date drivers are up to date and I’m still getting a yellow exclamation mark next to those 2 in my disk manager. I tried updating them from there(can’t find any updates) I tried downloadeding older chipset drivers from my mobo and no luck. My guess is those drivers turn on my pci-e and that’s without them that’s why my gpu is not working but I have no clue of any solutions

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
can you show us a screenshot of device manager with the 2 warnings?

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what version number you on?

can you check if gpu works in another PC?
I cannot check my gpu on another pc today but I possibly can tomorrow. Here’s a few photos

https://ibb.co/VWZm7gt
https://ibb.co/d6dntNQ
https://ibb.co/wy2Pq5z

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
SM BUS - I seen that on someone elses PC recently, seems common -
this is intels page for error - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000005621/software/chipset-software.html

Try installing Intel Management Engine Interface, I think both of those are part of it.

oh look, same motherboard and same problem
I downloaded this driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...er-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-Intel-NUC and my windows updated and I still have the same issue. The guy on the thread said he didn’t see his chipset download page so once he noticed that it resolved his issue I downloaded my chipset from the asus download page and installed it and still had the same issue

Last edited:

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Okay the Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.1.7 fixed my pci and sm bus controller issues but my disk manager still doesn’t show my gpu nor is my gpu fans spinning and when I attempt to install nvidia drivers it still says incompatible os

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can you do the next so we can see what os and version you have and some more hardware info,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
Can you do the next so we can see what os and version you have and some more hardware info,
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K (Skylake-S, R0)
4000 MHz (40.00x100.0) @ 4010 MHz (40.00x100.3)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-P D3
BIOS: 0406, 08/27/2015
Chipset: Intel Z170 (Skylake PCH-H)
Memory: 4096 MBytes @ 802 MHz, 9-9-9-28
- 4096 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBRL
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake-S GT2) [S0/R0] [ASUS]
Intel HD Graphics 530, 1024 MB
Drive: WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: Intel Skylake PCH-H - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19042.685 (20H2)

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
i flashed my bios but to no avail i am still having the same issue with the nvidia driver and my os compatibility. GPU fan spins for a second and stops for 2-3 secs and repeats this process. Heres an updated hwinfo report:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K (Skylake-S, R0)
4000 MHz (40.00x100.0) @ 4008 MHz (40.00x100.2)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-P D3
BIOS: 2604, 02/22/2018
Chipset: Intel Z170 (Skylake PCH-H)
Memory: 8192 MBytes @ 801 MHz, 9-9-9-28
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake-S GT2) [S0/R0] [ASUS]
Intel HD Graphics 530, 1024 MB
Drive: WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: Intel Skylake PCH-H - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19042.685 (20H2)

Last edited:

Adrian Palikowski

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2013
What if you use this driver?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/167753/

Did you btw reseat the gpu? Tried both slots? The power connector is firmly in place?
That’s the driver I used. I tried the other slot and no luck. The card is secure and the 8pin is in the card. I feel like it’s an issue with either missing drivers or my windows I honestly don’t think it’s the card itself. The card was working fine prior to switching out the power supply. I’m not sure where to go from here I’m stumped