Question Mobo fan

Jun 16, 2019
Hey, i found out my old motherboard has only slot for case fan and 1 for cpu fan, but the new case i want has 3 infront and 1 in back. I was looking around and found this one. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68X-UD5-B3-rev-10#sp It supports my current cpu. in the specifications it says:
  1. 1 x CPU fan header
  2. 3 x system fan headers
  3. 1 x power fan header
  4. 1 x Chipset fan header
I was wondering what is Power fan header and 1 chipset fan header, my new case has 3 fans in front and 1 in back. Cant i connect my 1 fan then?

clutchc

Titan
Herald
As long as the fan connectors match the fan headers on the motherboard, yes. The power fan header and the chipset fan header are probably not controllable meaning the fans will run at full rpm all the time.

Jun 16, 2019
Yes, you can. You can connect up to 2 fans to each header safely. It's just that the fans may run at full speed all the time because I don't see any speed control for those headers in BIOS as per your board's manual.
I decided to not buy new mobo since i dont want to mess with the windows etc, my current mobo is H-Joshua-H61-uATX , my new pc case has 2 fans in front and 1 back. can i stil use splitter?

clutchc

Titan
Herald
Oh, you have an HP desktop. A pre-built. Yes, you should still be able to use a splitter on the system fan headers.

But swapping a retail motherboard for the proprietary HP board can lead to lots of problems. Best that you decided against the motherboard.

ASK THE COMMUNITY