Question Mobo fan

Shaftyz

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Hey, i found out my old motherboard has only slot for case fan and 1 for cpu fan, but the new case i want has 3 infront and 1 in back. I was looking around and found this one. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68X-UD5-B3-rev-10#sp It supports my current cpu. in the specifications it says:
  1. 1 x CPU fan header
  2. 3 x system fan headers
  3. 1 x power fan header
  4. 1 x Chipset fan header
I was wondering what is Power fan header and 1 chipset fan header, my new case has 3 fans in front and 1 in back. Cant i connect my 1 fan then?

Shaftyz

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Yes, you can. You can connect up to 2 fans to each header safely. It's just that the fans may run at full speed all the time because I don't see any speed control for those headers in BIOS as per your board's manual.
I decided to not buy new mobo since i dont want to mess with the windows etc, my current mobo is H-Joshua-H61-uATX , my new pc case has 2 fans in front and 1 back. can i stil use splitter?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, you have an HP desktop. A pre-built. Yes, you should still be able to use a splitter on the system fan headers.

But swapping a retail motherboard for the proprietary HP board can lead to lots of problems. Best that you decided against the motherboard.