Question Mobo for G4560

Nov 28, 2020
Hi everyone, my MSI B250M pro-vdh seems to be completely dead.

At this point I would like to keep:

• old G4560 processor
  • 8 GB DDR4
  • BeQuiet 450 W power supply

buying a more updated mobo. I will keep using the integrated video card of the G4560, and at the same time I would like to change the case by opting for a slim or cube cabinet. I don't need to mount a DVD player, the only extra peripheral will be one or two HDDs, besides the SSD.

I have read about these new Type C gen 2 formats, but honestly it is not very clear to me what those are/will be actually useful for.

Basically, my PC will be fitted in the living room, connected to Hi-Fi, for office use with Linux. I have the ethernet plug available.

I don't have a very specific budget, but I would like to stay around 150-250 euros for mobo and case.

NB the technical data sheets of the cases I am looking at specify that the micro ATX must not be more than 18x22 cm...

I hope you can help me with the choice (also of the case, possibly...!). First of all, should I stick to B250 or is it possible to have a newer generation mobo with this CPU?

Thank you all!

Hi everyone, my MSI B250M pro-vdh seems to be completely dead.

At this point I would like to keep:

• old G4560 processor
  • 8 GB DDR4
  • BeQuiet 450 W power supply
buying a more updated mobo. I will keep using the integrated video card of the G4560, and at the same time I would like to change the case by opting for a slim or cube cabinet. I don't need to mount a DVD player, the only extra peripheral will be one or two HDDs, besides the SSD.

I have read about these new Type C gen 2 formats, but honestly it is not very clear to me what those are/will be actually useful for.

Basically, my PC will be fitted in the living room, connected to Hi-Fi, for office use with Linux. I have the ethernet plug available.

I don't have a very specific budget, but I would like to stay around 150-250 euros for mobo and case.

NB the technical data sheets of the cases I am looking at specify that the micro ATX must not be more than 18x22 cm...

I hope you can help me with the choice (also of the case, possibly...!). First of all, should I stick to B250 or is it possible to have a newer generation mobo with this CPU?

Thank you all!
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=8gKhP6
here you have a list of compatible motherboards
The problem will be finding something new, and not overpriced

And for 150-250 euros you definitely can by a new entry level CPU + motherboard

Nov 28, 2020
Trying to search both for B250 to save my Pentium and for a hypothetical Ryzen 3 3200G which looks to be the best buy for a new entry level setup.

Either way can't really find some small micro ATX around 18x22 cm (7x8,5 inches) which seems to be the max size allowed in slim cases...

You got a hint?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2020
I am still not able to find a mini itx motherboard for G4560 😑

It looks like B250's are super rare but found out that Z170 and Z270 would match G4560 too and appear to be more popular on eBay and similar.

Am I wrong?

I can't believe how much time I lost searching for a motherboard. I thought there would be less hassle than back in the Pentium 1, 2, 3 era :-D