[SOLVED] Mobo has 8 holes for screws, but I only have 6 (plus stand offs). Will that still be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2020
Hi again! Bit of a self explanatory question from the title, but I got an Asus Tuf B450M-Plus Gaming motherboard coming in the mail soon, and I have a question regarding how it's mounted onto the case. I'll be reusing the case that I currently have, but I just realized that my current motherboard only has 6 holes for screws and stand offs, whereas this new mobo has 8 holes. This means I'd be missing 2 screws/standoffs short. Would I still be able to safely mount the motherboard and turn on the PC? I'm kind of scared since I don't want it to short, of course, and it's not like I couldn't get more screws at a store, but I'm curious (and worried) either way. If I only used six screws, how would I go about mounting them? For reference, my case is a Xigmatek Spirit M EN6213.

Thanks!

818pj7%2B9cvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

asus-tuf-b450m-plus-gaming.jpg

Solution
but I'm curious (and worried) either way.

I'd try to get more screws and especially standoffs. If you have a scrap heap or a friend with one you could scavenge there for the parts.

The problem is the board will be left unsupported in places where you install parts. Especially the GPU and memory as you have to push down rather hard which makes the board flex an awful lot. If you do go without the spacers the board could be left in contact with the case, shorting it out. Look carefully for that before powering up.

The worst situation is that flexing the board really far as you install parts could cause a solder joint to crack, leading to intermittent operation. That is rather rare but it does happen so something to...
Hi again! Bit of a self explanatory question from the title, but I got an Asus Tuf B450M-Plus Gaming motherboard coming in the mail soon, and I have a question regarding how it's mounted onto the case. I'll be reusing the case that I currently have, but I just realized that my current motherboard only has 6 holes for screws and stand offs, whereas this new mobo has 8 holes. This means I'd be missing 2 screws/standoffs short. Would I still be able to safely mount the motherboard and turn on the PC? I'm kind of scared since I don't want it to short, of course, and it's not like I couldn't get more screws at a store, but I'm curious (and worried) either way. If I only used six screws, how would I go about mounting them? For reference, my case is a Xigmatek Spirit M EN6213.

Thanks!

818pj7%2B9cvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

asus-tuf-b450m-plus-gaming.jpg
It will be fine as long as you honestly have atleast 4 you are okey 2 top two mid 2 lower
If not gernally you want the third in the middle

Reactions: Metaler_guy
Aug 27, 2020
It will be fine as long as you honestly have atleast 4 you are okey 2 top two mid 2 lower
If not gernally you want the third in the middle
I am extremely glad to hear that! I didn't build this PC myself so I'm kind of learning the ropes about it! I imagine I can just ignore the two rightmost holes, since these are the ones my current mobo don't have.

but I'm curious (and worried) either way.

I'd try to get more screws and especially standoffs. If you have a scrap heap or a friend with one you could scavenge there for the parts.

The problem is the board will be left unsupported in places where you install parts. Especially the GPU and memory as you have to push down rather hard which makes the board flex an awful lot. If you do go without the spacers the board could be left in contact with the case, shorting it out. Look carefully for that before powering up.

The worst situation is that flexing the board really far as you install parts could cause a solder joint to crack, leading to intermittent operation. That is rather rare but it does happen so something to be aware of. Installing memory with the board outside the case sitting flat on a cotton towel will help with that. But the GPU is another matter.

Also, if you put a huge and heavy cooler on the CPU it will be hanging and pulling at the board. Make sure standoffs are installed to keep the board from bowing under the weight.

It's just better to install all the spacers and mounting screws.

Reactions: Metaler_guy
Solution
Aug 27, 2020

The worst situation is that flexing the board really far as you install parts could cause a solder joint to crack, leading to intermittent operation. That is rather rare but it does happen so something to be aware of. Installing memory with the board outside the case sitting flat on a cotton towel will help with that. But the GPU is another matter.

Also, if you put a huge and heavy cooler on the CPU it will be hanging and pulling at the board. Make sure standoffs are installed to keep the board from bowing under the weight.

Yeah, I'll probably just buy the remaining two screws. When it comes to stuff like this, it's better safe than sorry!

Haha as mich as yes it's possible it's so unlikly to happen even the most profecinal builders will only use 3 screw. Linus from tech tips. His latest build only has 3 screw right now. Going diagnal. It all honestly has to due with how you build your pc

Haha as mich as yes it's possible it's so unlikly to happen even the most profecinal builders will only use 3 screw. Linus from tech tips. His latest build only has 3 screw right now. Going diagnal. It all honestly has to due with how you build your pc
You can also put it together with sealing wax and bubble gum but it won't give nearly as long a life. Most of those types of "youtube specials" are taken apart in less than a week after everyone's had their laughs. And if you don't happen to be one of those 'proficient' builders you don't have to worry about intermittent gremlins creeping in to make your computing life a living - heck - in a couple years.

Aug 27, 2020
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Fortunately, I managed to find the remaining standoffs and screws for the case! They were tucked away in my graphics card box. It had just been so long that I guess I forgot about it. ^^;

This was really informative, though, and it never hurts to doublecheck. Here's hoping the PC build will go well. I'm really anxious about it since I never built my own before (though I am re purposing most of the parts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts