[SOLVED] mobo has 8pin+4pin but psu only have 8pin

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
mobo is asrock x470 taichi
psu is seasonic prime ultra gold 650w
cpu is ryzen 7 2700x
and my gpu is palit gtx 680 Jetstream

so my problem is that my psu only have 8pin cpu connector and my mobo need additional 4pin cpu connector. So can I plug in the 8pin connector, or I have to buy another 8pin (4+4)
maybe I want to upgrade my cpu to 3rd ryzen gen so my psu can handle this cpu

The eps 4 and 8 pin connectors are used to give the motherboard extra power for overclocking and for fully utilized pcie slots.
You may work perfectly well with just the 8 pin connector, but you may not.
It won't hurt to try.
If you need the 4 pin connector, you can buy a molex to 4 pin eps adapter cable like this:
https://www.newegg.com/black-yellow-startech-6-cable-connectors/p/N82E16812200459?Description=molex to 4 pin eps&cm_re=molex_to_4_pin_eps--12-200-459--Product

Would be better to contact Seasonic, they can send him a 2nd EPS cable.

The Primes actually have the Ports for the 2nd EPS cables.

It just the Prime Ti is the only 650W that comes with 2 of them in the box, the Gold and Plat don't.

mobo is asrock x470 taichi
psu is seasonic prime ultra gold 650w
cpu is ryzen 7 2700x
and my gpu is palit gtx 680 Jetstream

so my problem is that my psu only have 8pin cpu connector and my mobo need additional 4pin cpu connector. So can I plug in the 8pin connector, or I have to buy another 8pin (4+4)
maybe I want to upgrade my cpu to 3rd ryzen gen so my psu can handle this cpu

Contact Seasonic and get them to send you another EPS cable.

Well, I can tell you that a nearly identical motherboard (with a 2600X) with that very same PSU is sitting 2 feet to my right. It has only the 8-pin connector connected and all works very well. Still, up to the OP on how to proceed.

My posts were just info about the extra EPS cables, he does have a Prime 650W PSU so why not get the extra one?

Don't know if the AMD boards need it or not since I don't deal with AMD anymore and haven't since the 90's.

I do know that the high end Z390 MB's (INTEL) do actually need them to be connected however, especially with the high end CPU's.

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
You could plug in an 8x4x4. Put the 8 pin in your power supply, and use 1 four pin for the motherboard. Not too pretty but you can probably hide the other 4 pin behind the board. Not sure but probably tape the unused plug. You won't have to wait for something to be delivered.

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
The eps 4 and 8 pin connectors are used to give the motherboard extra power for overclocking and for fully utilized pcie slots.
You may work perfectly well with just the 8 pin connector, but you may not.
It won't hurt to try.
If you need the 4 pin connector, you can buy a molex to 4 pin eps adapter cable like this:
https://www.newegg.com/black-yellow-startech-6-cable-connectors/p/N82E16812200459?Description=molex to 4 pin eps&cm_re=molex_to_4_pin_eps--12-200-459--Product
converting from molex to eps cable is bad idea i think

TRENDING THREADS