Mobo help: P5N- E SLI, or P5N 32SLI, or ... P5K Deluxe???

Doogz

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Hey all

So here's the thing ... building a new machine, want it to last, blah, blah, blah! I record and game a lot. I think SLI will be the way to go in the future - but I'm gonna start with one high end card (prob have to get another one for Crysis!). Most likely gonna run an E6600 or a Q6600.

So - which mobo?

I built a machine for a friend with a P5N-E SLI. Very happy with it. Absolutely everything worked perfectly the first time. I got a mate who is getting a great overclock and loves this mobo.

But if I want it to last (and play high end games for years to come (!)) should I really have 2x16 PCIe lanes for SLI? Is that much better than 2x8 lanes?

Just to add fuel to the fire, the new P5K Deluxe has been getting a good initial reception. The first of the next generation. The memory controllers and longevity of this board seem to be first class ... pity an 8800GTX blocks a couple of the SATA ports. Anyway, maybe this mobo will be ok for a while? Or should I wait for an X38 ... hmmm!

Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers

Doogz

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I am going to get a new rig very soon and have already set my mind on P5N32-E SLI Plus. Official FSB support up to 1333 Mhz and killer SLI (beats Striker in a some cases) + a very attractive price put this mainboard on top of the list *I wish I could get Striker but it is to much $$$. Make sure you have a good ventilation in your case because this board can run very hot.

Get E6600 instead of quad as it overclocks much better (or consider EVGA 680i LT SLI for Quad).

"But if I want it to last (and play high end games for years to come (!)) should I really have 2x16 PCIe lanes for SLI? Is that much better than 2x8 lanes?"

I don't believe that it actually matters, it just sounds cool. Maybe some future cards with enhanced bandwidth :)

If you don't need SLI wait until they perfect the new chip (P5K) and for now go with a good P965.

About X38.. You can "wait", wait and wait and wait for new hardware to come out.. I waited for C2D, then waited for X2900XT and now "considering waiting" for Intel's pricecuts in June. I am sure in June I will be willing to wait once again for a new AMD Cpu's and then.. well then the G90 is just around the corner :)