[SOLVED] Mobo indicates VGA problem after the system worked fine for 25 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenS

Commendable
Dec 19, 2020
Hi!

Recently I’ve put together my first system together with a more experienced friend. Although quite new to all of this, I would consider myself relatively tech savvy. Now, the system won’t post anymore :(. Here are the specs:

Asus ROG Strix B450-F
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Eagle OC 8gb
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 mghz
Kingston 1tb SATA ssd
Deepcool Gammaxx L240 V2 with 2x Corsair sp120 installed as fans
4x Corsair sp120 case fans
Corsair rm650x

Some background: Got the system to post when we turned it on the first time. Opened up the BIOS, selected my usb drive with windows installed
to boot from. Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the ssd and let the system do its thing (without internet connected). Then did all the necessary Windows updates and installed the necessary Nvidia drivers. All seemed to be working fine, temps were normal, and before I knew it, I was on my desktop. Basically, I was stoked to install some games and put the thing to work! Happy with how the system turned out.

Then, coming back to the system after being away for 5 minutes it showed a black screen. I powered the system down completely and tried to boot again. Since then, it won’t POST anymore and shows no signal on my monitor. When powering it on, all the fans spin (also on GPU), all the rgb works (fans, gpu etc) and the LEDs for troubleshooting cycle. However, the troubleshooting LEDs don’t cycle passed the white LED, which on this MB indicates a VGA problem. I’ve tried the following things in this order to fix the issue, without any luck unfortunately....

-Took out the GPU and reseated it + its power cables
-I’ve put the GPU in the second slot
-Swapped HDMI cables
-Used Displayport instead of HDMI
-Used another monitor and checked my own with another pc (works fine)
-Tried other wall sockets
-Tested a GPU known to work which also gave a VGA error at post
-I’ve reseated the RAM
-Tried booting with only one stick of RAM, testing each separately
-Reseated the CPU
-Cleared the CMOS and power cycled the PSU
-Changed the PCIE power cable for the GPU
-Ran two separate PCIE power cables to the GPU
-Took the MB out of the case, reseated everything and tried booting with only the essential parts connected on the MBs box.

At this point, I suspected my MB was fried. So I tried all of the above with another MB (Asus ROG Strix B450-F II), but also without any luck.

None of it worked, which leads me to believe the problem might have to do with the CPU or the PSU, especially because no other GPU works with the first or second motherboard I tried. I’ve also not really messed with the BIOS on either one, as it seems unnecessary because the system did POST and boot in the first place. And that’s what I don’t understand; why did it work for about 25 minutes and why could I install Windows and drivers without any problems?

Anyone here has any thoughts? Would be much appreciated!

Solution
I've had mobo's come back to life after just leaving them powered off for a while.

They often do a reboot or a refresh after the drivers are loaded or installed, after which they will start using the advanced options from the drivers. Desktop falls away, returns a little while later, and the card wil appear in the device manager.
Dec 18, 2020
I've had mobo's come back to life after just leaving them powered off for a while.

They often do a reboot or a refresh after the drivers are loaded or installed, after which they will start using the advanced options from the drivers. Desktop falls away, returns a little while later, and the card wil appear in the device manager.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.