Mobo is dead... what are the chances that it took my CPU and/or RAM with it?

acsdog

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
So a few days ago I was installing the lighting for my case after a leak test for my new water cooling loop. The leak test was good, no leaks, good flow. I started my computer, and it was fine. I turned off the PSU (I know, not the best way to turn off a computer, but I've done it before with no problem). I then attempted to plug my cold cathode lighting in, but I definitely messed up. The inverter has a male and female molex, and I derped and plugged both into my PSU. When I started my computer, It turned on for a split second and then turned off. I tried again, same thing. So I disconnected my lighting and tried again, same thing. I then took out my GPU to avoid any damage to it and tried one last time, with just the necessary cables on my mobo: on then off again. The next day I took out my mobo and PSU and did an external test with only the 24 pin mobo power and CPU power (I used the stock CPU fan). I got the same results, on then off. At this point I thought that it may have been my PSU, but the PSU powers the pump (I forgot to mention this earlier, I jumped the 24 pin to test the PSU). To be extra sure that it wasn't my PSU, I took my mobo to my friend's house and used his PSU. Same thing happened. So now here I am, with a dead mobo. Since the problem was with the PSU frying it, is there a good chance that my CPU, RAM, and GPU for that matter are dead as well? I don't see any physical damage on the mobo, no blown capacitors or leaks. I am planning on going to micro center tomorrow to get a new mobo, but I fear that I may have the same issue with the new one. Any ideas? I hope to god that it is just my mobo at this point, because I really don't want to replace my i5 3570k.

Solution
When you say you took your mobo to your friend's house, I suppose you meant the mobo, case and all?.. It would help to know if every component was also tested or not with the known good PSU.

One thing I want cleared up is; the Cold Cathode Lighting has two molex M & F connectors, and both can be connected female to PSU and male to HD or Disk drive... so what can go wrong?.. I've checked some pics from cold cathode lamps and they don't seem to connect to the motherboard... so, I don't see how connecting both M & F would cause mobo damage, it's more likely due to turning the PSU directly off.... the possible damage can be like when a power outage takes place, and the Hard Drive suffers corrupted data, bad sectors and sometimes dies. You...
When you say you took your mobo to your friend's house, I suppose you meant the mobo, case and all?.. It would help to know if every component was also tested or not with the known good PSU.

One thing I want cleared up is; the Cold Cathode Lighting has two molex M & F connectors, and both can be connected female to PSU and male to HD or Disk drive... so what can go wrong?.. I've checked some pics from cold cathode lamps and they don't seem to connect to the motherboard... so, I don't see how connecting both M & F would cause mobo damage, it's more likely due to turning the PSU directly off.... the possible damage can be like when a power outage takes place, and the Hard Drive suffers corrupted data, bad sectors and sometimes dies. You may want to try the computer without the Hard Drive...

I haven't seen a dead motherboard that turned on for only a second, so I'd doubt it's the mobo. Are you getting any video at all?.. Try resetting the BIOS:
1. remove the power cord or shut the PSU down with the switch (or both),
2. Remove the BIOS battery,
3. Press the power button and hold it in for a full minute,
4. Wait 10 minutes,
5. put the battery back on and connect the power line, PSU switch on, and turn the computer on.

If that helps, the computer should turn on, the BIOS should post and stop or restart but it should stay on. And if still nothing after resetting the BIOS and removing the HD, a new motherboard may be the solution... and I seriously doubt all (CPU, RAM, GPU) have suffered damage.

Solution