Question Mobo just died. Need replacement ASAP. What will work with my components?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hey guys, I need to buy a new mobo in a hurry since this is my gaming/work computer. One PCIe slot went out so I switched the GPU over and I had it working well in PCIe 2 slot for maybe 3 months. Just now today the computer is doing a quick on off type of thing, then just dead until I do a pull the plug reset. Then it would power up the fans for 1 second and then dead again. I removed the GPU and running graphics from the onboard and the computer started just fine and now sitting in windows. So this tells me my mobo is slowly dying one area at a time and it also tells me I think my GPU is still good since it worked in PCIe slot 2 for several months after PCIe slot 1 went out.

I don't mind just getting the same ASUS Z97-PRO, but I don't want to buy used and this can't be found anymore new.

So, please look at my specs below in the signature and what mobo could/should I get that would be compatible with my DDR3 2400 ram and my i7-4790K.

If its a good deal, I don't mind upgrading my processor with the mobo. I have been very happy with the one I have, but maybe its time to upgrade.

This is somewhat urgent since I have to have everything back up and running by Monday if possible. Thanks.

Last edited:

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I did find almost the same one and apparently it says new. Its the "A" version instead of my "PRO" version so its missing a few accessories.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813132118?Item=9SIBB55J9B1890

However, if there is a combo deal to upgrade my processor as well, I would like to go with that. I did buy this ram more recently and would hate to see it go to waste and I'm not really in the market to do a full computer upgrade right now. So a new mobo is priority, then maybe a new CPU if there is a good combo deal. My next fun purchase would be a new GPU when the time comes. I don't have as much time to game anymore, so that's the plan.

Any combos you would recommend or should I get this exact same mobo from China?

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
for $200+ i'd look to upgrade. for about $300 you can get much better and double the performance.

this is just one example. does need a cooler but there are a ton of budget options that will easily cool the 5600.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($158.99 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $296.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-05 20:22 EDT-0400

i'd not spend $200+ on such an old system. it's just not worth it when you see what you can get for a bit more :)

Reactions: Spitfire7

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hey guys, I have an update. I pulled the EVGA GTX970 GPU and plugged the HDMI into the onboard and the computer started up right away not problems. I then plugged my EVGA GTX970 GPU back in and I was able to get the computer to boot again last night and play a game. However, the next day I can't get the computer to post. Same issue. It was an immediate on/off. I pulled the EVGA GTX970 GPU and put an old XFX one in. I don't have a connector for it since its pretty old and is DVI and I don't have an adapter or connector on my screen for this. But, I did power the GPU and it started up right away no problems. I am assuming it worked since the computer posted and started up, even though I wasn't able to see this on the screen without the DVI adapter. I then put in the EVGA GTX970 GPU, and once again on/off. I am now typing this with the EVGA GTX970 GPU pulled and running my HDMI into the onboard and its working fine.

What do you guys bet, its just the graphics card? As soon as I put the EVGA GTX970 GPU in, the computer won't start. If it put in an older card, computer starts right up, if I use the onboard, computer starts right up and everything is working perfectly. What do you guys think?

I was using the EVGA GTX 970 GeForce Nvidia. What would be a good card that I can quickly buy to throw in this machine and be done, but also gaining a lot of cool performance that will work on this MOBO while we're at it?

I don't want to mess around with this too long, so please throw out some good GPU options that are compatible with the ASUS Z97-PRO. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I just bought this one.
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0) Graphics Card

I hope it works and it was just an old faulty GPU that went out instead of the motherboard. I will update you guys on my findings. This is a pretty good card right? I got the one that is overclocked and has the faster clock speed and memory. Should be a pretty big upgrade from my GTX 970. We shall see. I mean, I was already on Ultra settings for GTAV, Battlefield, and medium to high settings with X-plane. Hoping this fixes X-Plane.