MOBO LED ON when plugged in but PSU PAPER CLIP TEST FAILED??

Leon Holt

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
JUST WHAT IT SAYS IN THE TITLE
the mobo is powered by the psu as the green power led lights up and the gpu 6 pinj is also providing power but the cpu led and ram led are not responding at all and when i tried the paper clip test the fan did not spin either
I burned a component out 2 weeks ago overclocking and i thought it was the mobo but when i got a new one the same thing happened :(

basically will buying a new psu fix this?

Solution
If you burned out components, on two motherboards, then I would not put that PSU in someone elses computer. I don't know what PSU you are using, but if you get another one, don't cheap out on it or you will likely have bigger problems. The one thi9ng you said though, was theat niether the CPU led nor the RAM led were lighting. I am assuming tht is during POST. If this is the case, POST is failing at or before the CPU, which is before the RAM in the POST sequance. You may have a bad PSU, but. I suspect you have fried your Motherboard as well.

marioman3002

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
What you can try is to take out the current power supply and put it in your friends computer and see if it lets his computer start up. Just because the green light on the motherboard lights up, or the NIC lights up does not mean that the power supply is good. It is not uncommon for a PSU to be 'dead' but still deliver enough power to light up a tiny LED.

If you burned out components, on two motherboards, then I would not put that PSU in someone elses computer. I don't know what PSU you are using, but if you get another one, don't cheap out on it or you will likely have bigger problems. The one thi9ng you said though, was theat niether the CPU led nor the RAM led were lighting. I am assuming tht is during POST. If this is the case, POST is failing at or before the CPU, which is before the RAM in the POST sequance. You may have a bad PSU, but. I suspect you have fried your Motherboard as well.

Solution