Question Mobo might be fried after installing used gpu ?

charlesesteban

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2014
[Moderator edits (*) to remove profanity. Please remember that Tom's HW is a family friendly Forum.]

So I bought a used Rtx 3060 ti and installed it in my computer. After getting multiple blue screen of deaths (I didn't write down the codes. *** me
), It finally booted. Thinking that the issue were the drivers, I reinstalled the drivers on geforce experience. I then turned off the computer and got another blue screen of death. I then tried turning it back on multiple times and got stuck on the Asus logo. I turned it off and on and got stuck on the Asus logo everytime, so I tried resetting the cmos. After that, I never got any signal from the 3060 Ti, no signal from my previous gpu (1070 Ti) and no signal from integrated graphics. Is my mobo fried? I tried another psu reseating the cpu, with and without ram and only one stick, etc. Still no signal. Thanks.
Mobo : Asus B85M-E Cpu : Intel I7 4790 Ram : generic 16 gb 2x8gb Psu : Antec VP 650w

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom cruise432

BANNED
Sep 13, 2022
There shouldn't be a problem there since the PCI express slots a GPU fits into are designed to be backwards compatible.
Modern GPUs use a lot of power, thus you should be sure your PSU can support the newer GPU. not only in watts but also in power connectors. Your PSU will definitely die early if it is overloaded.