MOBO or memory issue?

atrossity

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 REV 2.0 and PQI turbo ram 2.0v dual channel 1gbx2

Built my first computer a month ago. Its been nothing but a headache thus far.

First setup, got everything working, booted up, installed all mobo drivers and video driver-eh wait, video card drivers are installing. Found out video card wasnt installing period. RMA'd the card. Newegg screwed up multiple times, ended up taking over a month to get my new card, despite priority shipping.

Second setup, it works. Shut down pc, next time I start it up, I get a glitchy startup screen and mobo screen. (Glitchy as in random pixels laying about and vertical blue lines going across the screen)

Now it either gives me this glitchy screen, or it boots up normally. When it gives me this screen, it tries to startup, crashes, reboots automatically, and the whole ordeal is done over again. Sometimes it will take 4 reboots before it works correctly. But once it boots correctly, everything works great.

Ive heard that this mobo has issues with anything but 1.8v ram. Is it defaulted to 1.8v ram, so that it has a hard time recognizing ram above 1.8v or what? If so, I went into my bios and added .2v to my ram. Still getting boot up problems.

-thanks for any help in advance.

PS : bios is updated to the max, all drivers are up to date, checked multiple times for loose connections, etc.

Mondoman

Splendid
-)Please list model numbers of every single component in the system, including things like power supply and CPU cooler.
-)Have you looked at component temps in the BIOS or Windows?
-)Did you test out your system with memtest86+, then with Orthos or similar "stress tester"? If not, do so.

atrossity

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
-500 W power supply, EVGA 7950 gt ko, GA-956P-DS3, PQI turbo dual channel 1gbx2 (package says 2.0 v)

-Yes. Checked multiple times, gpu runs at 50c and cpu runs 40c idle to 50c full throttle.

-no, this is something I tried to do earlier and forgot about. Could you tell me how I would do this?

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
List your whole system components.

CPU?
PSU - brand and model number?
HD? no need but for the heck of it.

Just like Mondoman said this is a good place to start... run memtest86+ (so we can see if your memory is good or not) and Orthos (strees test the cpu and ram for stability). Leave you ram voltage at 2.0V.

memtest86+

Orthos

I had a similar problem a few years back with a system I built using a Radeon 9700 Pro. I discovered that if I moved the aux power connector (on those cards it was the sames as a floppy power connector) the problem would go away. I got the problem to go away for the first week, but it came back. Ultimately I had to exchange the card. I don't know if this could be your problem, but since it sounded similar, I thought I would mention it.

atrossity

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
List your whole system components.

CPU?
PSU - brand and model number?
HD? no need but for the heck of it.

Just like Mondoman said this is a good place to start... run memtest86+ (so we can see if your memory is good or not) and Orthos (strees test the cpu and ram for stability). Leave you ram voltage at 2.0V.

memtest86+

Orthos
'

Ok. Downloaded memtest 86, cant run it because I dont know how to burn an image of an iso onto a cd (pardon my noob) and I dont have a floppy drive.

Orthos I dont really understand, but I just ran the stress test on my cpu and ram for 2 minutes with 0 errors and warnings. Does that mean my ram is ok?

My power supply is an APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply. The reason I dont think it is this is because I had the problem before, and this is my newer power supply. Both are 500 w, just one came standard with the case, the only reason I bought this one is because my old power supply for my other computer blew. However.. I just now remembered that the video card was not functional at all before the power supply changeout, now it functions.

CPU is an e6600, standard heatsink and cooler.

hard drive is westinghouse, though it was oem and i dont know the model number.

thanks again for the help-and techgeek, ill move around some power connectors and see if this alleviates the issue.

Mondoman

Splendid
Orthos I dont really understand, but I just ran the stress test on my cpu and ram for 2 minutes with 0 errors and warnings.
That's a good sign, but you really need to run it for an hour or more to have confidence in your CPU/RAM.

...My power supply is an APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply. The reason I dont think it is this is because I had the problem before, and this is my newer power supply. Both are 500 w,
Unfortunately, Apevia is not a great brand, and the PS is only rated at 16A on the +12V1 that supplies your graphics card and other non-CPU items. The $30 AR price tag is a reasonable indicator that this is a low-end PS. For a graphics card like yours, expect to pay about $100 for a decent PS.
One good thing to try would be to buy a $25 video card (even PCI, can be used) and swap it in to see if it's a video card or video card power-draw issue. An old PCI card won't draw much power at all.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Your PSU brand is a very very poor quality... it comes to be called (CRAP). PSU is most overlooked component in a system. Invest wisly. All your problems might be because of the PSU. It might not be getting enough power to power your system to be stable. Get a new PSU and a well know brand and quality PSU.

One more thing you said that your older PSU blew hmmm usualy when PSU go bad they take out other components in the system. Something to think about.

You will need to run Orhtos more then 2 minutes. Run it for 3-5 hours.

For memtest86... do you have Ahead Nero?

memtest86+... Download - Memtest86 v3.2 ISO image (zip) and extract it. Open the image file with nero and burn it onto a cd. Restart the pc and boot it off a cd.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I agree that the issue can easily be the PSU. Picture quality issues are from the GPU, but that isnt because the GPU is dead but because your Power Supply isnt delivering the required amperage. The PSU has 16a and the GPU needs somewhere btwn 20 and 25.

If I were you I would get a good PSU: I am thinking of getting either of these 2:
FSP 450w 2x18a 54 USD
ocz powerxstream 600w 4x18a

I agree that the PSU is the most overlooked part of a PC. Just look at Dell, I had an XPS's power supply die on me 2 weeks ago taking out my HD and keyboard and mouse (as far as I know.)

Money doesnt seem to be that much of an issue for you seeing your hardware, you can get by with the FSP, but for true future-proofing the OCZ is the best bang for the buck.

To burn memtest you need an iso-burning app, I had to burn memtest on a pc that didnt have such an app a while ago so I googled it and found Deep Burner: http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download
I dl'ed the free version, burned memtest, and uninstalled it.

Run memtest for at least an hour, preferably somewhere near 2-4 though. I doubt that memtest is your issue though, as I said before probably the PSU.

Ait good luck, and keep writing back, I want too see how this turns out.

atrossity

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Ok, so my ram is definitely ok as far as orthos shows. I also am still running (at max) 60 C on my cpu. The more and more I think about it, the more and more it makes sense that it very well could be my PSU.

You see, I thought the ram might be an issue, but I recently read somewhere (possibly these forums) that the recent revisions (mines a 2.0) and the updates bios fixed the problems people were having with compatibility issues. Everything I have on my computer is up-to-date.

So I guess what I will do is run down to a place like best buy (or circuit shitty, whatever has a good return policy on open products, if any) and either by a real cheap pci card, or a really nice PSU, and try to haggle my way into being able to return it the next day.

Thanks so much for the help guys. Even if it isnt the psu, I now know that If i have a problem similar to this in the future to invest in a nice power supply and Ill know to look for amp outputs.

Ill keep you guys posted on what happens.

edit: and im laughing now thinking about the issues I would have had if I would have "stepped up" to the 8800 without knowing the issues I was having deal with power. Now I guess Ill just keep my card, invest next in a power supply (if thats the problem) and get the r600 or whatever when it comes out this christmas.)

Mondoman

Splendid
Since you'll be upgrading to a super power-guzzling video card, be sure to get a PS that can handle that. I'd make sure it could supply at least 18A on *each* of at least *3* +12V rails (+12V1, +12V2, and +12V3).

atrossity

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
^^ oh definitely. My target price is 60-100 dollars. I should be able to get something half decent until then.

One more thing: can I safely assume its the PS if I put back in the old stock 500w supply that comes with the case and my video card stops detecting again? Or will that just add to the (maybe already existing) problem? I work everyday now, and when im not working im at school, and this weekend im going on a trip, so i dont know if ill have time for a long while to run to the store and pick up something to test it out with.

Mondoman

Splendid
... My target price is 60-100 dollars.
I'd make your range $90-120.

... can I safely assume its the PS if I put back in the old stock 500w supply that comes with the case and my video card stops detecting again?
Probably; the key thing are the +12V outputs, especially +12V1 and +12V3 (+12V2 is for the CPU). There should be a label on the side of the PS that lists these and others.

PS - Something like this should be OK:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270348

atrossity

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
OK, 2 more questions and im done.

That power supply listed above, and most of the ones ive looked at DONT have a 12v3 rail. I need this right? Because i was looking at this PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817128001

And my other question, Does newegg allow you to return opened items within 30 days for a refund with a restocking fee? That psu is under standard return policy, but It doesnt say anything about opened items.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
That PSU will do. That PSU has 12v1 and 12v2 rails and is enough for your system and the video card. You will not need the 12v3 for your system.

Newegg does let you return open item within 30 day but they are going to charge you the 15% restocking fee. It doesnt matter if you opened the item or not you still will pay the 15% restocking fee.

atrossity

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
you guys have been very helpful. once again i am very appreciative.

edit: you guys were definitely right. As i was packing up my video card for a "step up" I found a cord that converts 2 p4 connectors into 1 6 slot connector (which goes into my video card) I never needed this cord because my powersupply has a 6 slot connector that plugs straight into the video card.. But since I think its giving me problems, I unconnected the powersuppply 6 slot card and connected the 2 p4->6 slotter into my video card and now everything works. So there you go. Even though its fixed, im still upgrading from this pos.