• PSU Problem

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • MOBO Problem

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
my gigabyte ep45ds3l. If I disconnect it from the mains and try to boot, it restarts before post and then does everything fine. I've reset cmos, tried different ram sticks, everything is set to stock.

There is a problem where it would shutdown and all the fans stay on which was not resolved by cmos reset.

I replaced the cmos battery and it still has problems.

Please vote, is the problem with PSU or MOBO?

psu is corshair vx550

Check your bios settings; you may have a sleep mode or similar wake up setting enabled. Also check your case connections to the motherboard pins; all your case lights should work when your system powers up. If not, you may have the power switch in the wrong position.

Keep in mind a failing PSU can very easily damage your system -- so don't keep trying to boot it up until it's replaced. I've lost count how many OP's bombed their - PSU, MOBO, and GPU(s) which makes fixing the PC both expensive AND hard to trace down the cause. Example bad PSU damaged the MOBO - the OP replaces the PSU and posts back PSU didn't correct the problem ... you get the picture.

Most PSU's have a 5 year warranty, and IMO you don't want to skimp by getting a cheap PSU with limited protection. Example the Corsair Enthusiast and higher have Over-voltage, under-voltage, over-current, and short circuit protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components. Also, you want a PSU the implements Japanese capacitors; example see features -> http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-tx850-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-850-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Thing is the pcs on more than 12 hours a day every day and has been for two years so it's done pretty well i guess. Let's see if the PSU is the culprit. I will post back :)

I just bought that one recommended above, cheers

Just make sure it properly sized, better too large than too small. As the PSU gets older it suffers from 'electrolytic capacitor aging' which reduces its' Wattage by 10%~20% depending on load and time 'on'.

See -> http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/

I have a tendency to oversize and there's nothing wrong with it. Since the years going back from my changing my attitude my PSU failure rate is tiny and I have and have built a lot of systems. The Pros are MANY and the Con is (1) 1%~2% loss in efficiency.

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Replaced PSU, the problems still there. I have reset factory defaults, cleared cmos several times, flashed bios etc. At least I have two decent PSU's now heh to test if something else goes wrong