Sep 11, 2017
ASROCK Xtreme4 Z270 MoBo
Intel i7-7700k
Nvidia 1070sc
250g SSD
2x 8gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz
600W psu
Windows 10 home

My motherboard calls for both RAM sticks in either A1 B1 or A2 B2 slots. Whenever I have both RAM sticks in, either configuration, I get several blue screens: memory_management, IRQL_not_less_or_equal, kernal error. Once I remove one ram stick it works perfectly fine, both work fine standalone.

Solution
The Z270 Xtreme4 motherboard supports 2 x 8 GB modules rated at 3000 MHz (and higher frequencies), so that is not the issue.

The modules are probably not working together because of variances in module characteristics (aside from frequency, voltage, and timings).

Because of tolerances in component values and in assembly of modules, each module has unique characteristics. No two modules are 100% exactly alike.

In order for two or more modules to work together compatibly requires that the respective module characteristics are similar. If module characteristics are too dissimilar then the modules will not work together (properly).

This is why memory manufacturers offer dual, triple, and quad channel memory kits where the modules within...
If these two are separate memory modules (not from the same dual channel kit), then the issue is most likely due to (partial) incompatibility between the modules. Module incompatibility occurs when the respect module characteristics are too dissimilar to allow compatible operation. This even occurs for memory modules with the same part number.

Try increasing DRAM Voltage, but don't exceed 1.35 V.

If still have issues (and you don't wish to reduce memory frequency), then try increasing VCCSA Voltage a bit (also).

If still have issues, then either reduce the memory frequency, or get a replacement 2 x 8 GB dual channel kit and keep the existing modules as back up or sell them.

mitchpflueger

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Increasing the VCSSA didn't solve the problem and I'm not wanting to buy new RAM because they should work perfectly fine. I'll try and reduce the frequency( reluctantly). I'm thinking my CPU pins on the board my be defective or it's not compatible with 2 8gb 3000mhz sticks.

The Z270 Xtreme4 motherboard supports 2 x 8 GB modules rated at 3000 MHz (and higher frequencies), so that is not the issue.

The modules are probably not working together because of variances in module characteristics (aside from frequency, voltage, and timings).

Because of tolerances in component values and in assembly of modules, each module has unique characteristics. No two modules are 100% exactly alike.

In order for two or more modules to work together compatibly requires that the respective module characteristics are similar. If module characteristics are too dissimilar then the modules will not work together (properly).

This is why memory manufacturers offer dual, triple, and quad channel memory kits where the modules within each kit have been manufacturer tested for inter-module compatibility and are guaranteed to be compatible.

Two options, if wanting to run two 8 GB modules stably and compatibly -

1) Get another 8 GB module and try it with the other(s) and see if they work together or not. This could be a time consuming and expensive process until a compatible memory module combination is found.

2) Get a system compatible 2 x 8 GB dual channel kit. This is usually recommended as it saves time and hassles.

Solution