Question MOBO, PSU, or CPU short?

TheDoulos

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Hey all, I've searched for this problem, but it seems case-specific, so here goes:

First, Specs:
MOBO: ASUS Z87-Plus
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W
CPU: Intel Core i5 4430
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

This is the setup (aside from a 450W PSU) that ran fine for years. One day, the computer wouldn't POST; it would start for 1-2 seconds, then shut off, and repeated that until I flipped the switch on the back of the PSU. I read that PSUs notoriously die, so I purchased and installed the one I have listed in the specs above.

Same problem happened. So I reseated everything, removed CMOS battery, still the same problem.

I noticed the red CPU LED would go on until the system power shut itself off again, so I figured there was a problem with the CPU. This made sense to me; I had discovered fairly recently that I'd ran it really hot for too long playing lots of Skyrim in its lifetime. I left for a 3 week trip, so I couldn't work on it. Came back, powered it on, and it stayed on for about 30 seconds. Then, back to the same old problem. Thinking about shorts, I detached the CPU fan (but kept it plugged in), powered on, and same problem.

I reattached the CPU fan, everything back in place, and started it again, and a new problem occurred: it shrieked, or alarmed, or howled (not sure what it was), and some smoke came from the area of the capacitors near the CPU power socket (not right at it, but near it). I checked the capacitor leads in that area on the other side of the MOBO, and didn't see any contacts anywhere. Here's a detail I thought was important: Removing other hardware didn't affect the boot problem; the only thing that affected it was removing the PSU power cables for the CPU (8-pin) from its MOBO socket. Then the PC would power on and stay on, but wouldn't give its normal POST beep or show anything on the monitor. But it wouldn't auto-shut down.

This is where I got stuck. I didn't want to keep turning it on if it was going to smoke, but I wanted to get a video to show some specific info to get help with the problem. And here's what happened:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCC0PsDrURE

Now, I'm not an expert in electronics (I've just been going off of what I find on forums answers to similar problems) but I'm assuming the MOBO is dead, and maybe some other components? My question is: from the look of this video and the situation I described, does it sound like a MOBO, CPU, or PSU problem? The PSU was brand new, and the problem started with a previous PSU. I can replace a problem component, but I don't want to fry something new if I replace the wrong hardware.

Thanks in advance.