[SOLVED] Mobo & RAM for Ryzen 7 4700g ?

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I bought an HP M01-F1024 from Best Buy as a stop gap measure until sanity comes back to computer components. It features the Ryzen 7 4700g CPU-that is why I bought it knowing the rest of the box could be problematic.

First off,8 Gigs of ram-on one stick! This should be illegal. At least HP could have put in 2 4gigs so it would be dual channel. I hear the fan is loud and crappy (I haven't even unboxed yet-been busy),and it is not a simple upgrade. It is for an Intel mobo (see
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBTKi3rKnC4&t=1s
)

The power supply is weak (180 watt ,but at least Gold) and of course ,as with most pre-builds non-standard. I guess they figure the BIOS is crippled (no overclocks),so you won't need anything larger.

I was flirting with idea of ripping out the good parts (4700g CPU,256 m.2,wifi that takes up their other m.2 slot)

So,what would be a good mobo/ram for this? I already have the Fractal Design Focus G Mini case new in a box laughing at me (pro tip-don't drink and shop!)

Apparently the 4700g is close to the 3600x in CPU tasks. I could work with that. I'd load up on RAM,give it decent cooling and happily VirtualBox,light vid editing,pawn. I'm not much of a gamer,but I bought the HP hoping I could play 2 games-RDR2 and GTA5 and not have them suck. And no. I don't want to buy a 5 year old video card ridiculously overpriced-or any separate video card.

Thanks for any replies!

Solution
I bought it as a side computer-nothing special. Hopefully just a way to play RDR2 and GTA5. I seen the writing on the wall and figured I better hit the buy button. I got it at Best Buy for $529,and I was a bit peeve I didn't get it a week earlier when it was $80 cheaper. A week after I bought it, it was $629...That was last week.
It is now $699.
I made a good move.

But,after having time to research the 4700, I see that it is very close to the 3600 and I am flirting with the idea of utilizing that power-overclock,massive RAM...a system that will let me run mutiple VMs...and video editing IF I can EVER get a "this Gen" video card without being ashamed of the ridiculous price I will have pay.
HP,as most big name Big Boxers, handicaps...

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Just stick in another 8gb matching stick of ram and call it done, otherwise, imo, return it and build in the Focus case.
Thanks,but I think I'll bite the bullet and buy what I have in mind for my next build (when sanity is restored-God I hope that's soon!).
I'll buy a 32 gig fast kit and use it.
And a 8 stick for the HP prebuilt-but just pull the current 8 Gig stick and keep it with the new 8 Gig stick.

HOPEFULLY,I can pull the 32 kit and put in the yet-to-be-built real rig I wanted to do before Thanksgiving, replacing it with 2 8 gigs in the HP prebuilt.

Thanks for replying!

popatim

Titan
Well if you want to spend $650+ for what amounts to ~$350/400 in parts that's totally your prerogative.
Also, keep in mind that memory compatible with the HP board may not be compatible in the new board; and that the HP most likely won't let you use the higher speed memory at anything but the slowest speed.

I bought an HP M01-F1024 from Best Buy as a stop gap measure until sanity comes back to computer components. It features the Ryzen 7 4700g CPU-that is why I bought it knowing the rest of the box could be problematic.

First off,8 Gigs of ram-on one stick! This should be illegal. At least HP could have put in 2 4gigs so it would be dual channel. I hear the fan is loud and crappy (I haven't even unboxed yet-been busy),and it is not a simple upgrade. It is for an Intel mobo (see
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBTKi3rKnC4&t=1s
)

The power supply is weak (180 watt ,but at least Gold) and of course ,as with most pre-builds non-standard. I guess they figure the BIOS is crippled (no overclocks),so you won't need anything larger.

I was flirting with idea of ripping out the good parts (4700g CPU,256 m.2,wifi that takes up their other m.2 slot)

So,what would be a good mobo/ram for this? I already have the Fractal Design Focus G Mini case new in a box laughing at me (pro tip-don't drink and shop!)

Apparently the 4700g is close to the 3600x in CPU tasks. I could work with that. I'd load up on RAM,give it decent cooling and happily VirtualBox,light vid editing,pawn. I'm not much of a gamer,but I bought the HP hoping I could play 2 games-RDR2 and GTA5 and not have them suck. And no. I don't want to buy a 5 year old video card ridiculously overpriced-or any separate video card.

Thanks for any replies!

Why did you bother buying the whole system if you are removing the CPU and drive from it only? There are no issues with components aside from video cards now. Power supplies went up in price by like 30% but are still easily available.

This is what happens when people don't heed the lessons learned from The Simpsons, buying 3 flavor ice cream and tossing out two of them.

yGTot.jpg

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I bought it as a side computer-nothing special. Hopefully just a way to play RDR2 and GTA5. I seen the writing on the wall and figured I better hit the buy button. I got it at Best Buy for $529,and I was a bit peeve I didn't get it a week earlier when it was $80 cheaper. A week after I bought it, it was $629...That was last week.
It is now $699.
I made a good move.

But,after having time to research the 4700, I see that it is very close to the 3600 and I am flirting with the idea of utilizing that power-overclock,massive RAM...a system that will let me run mutiple VMs...and video editing IF I can EVER get a "this Gen" video card without being ashamed of the ridiculous price I will have pay.
HP,as most big name Big Boxers, handicaps a great cpu. HP does it with a BIOS that will not allow you to mess with anything: non-standard very, very low wattage ps ,uninspired mobo, and bizarrely one 8 Gig stick.
It has 2 M.2s. Of course you can in real life only use one M.2 slot? Why because Big Bioxers do weird things for no apparent reason.

I all fairness,this box was aimed at businesses.

But if you still think I'm a fool,look around you. Pre-builts are rapidly becoming the best "value" (relatively speaking).
Want proof? Come back in a week. IF Best Buy still has the HPs in stock (big if),lets see if they are $699.

It is getting to be if you want to do a decent build without getting totally ripped off,your only option is to buy a pre-built and rape out any part you need.

I've been computer geekin' since PDP-11 days and I've never seen anything this bad.

Last edited:
It is now $699.
I made a good move.

HP,as most big name Big Boxers, handicaps a great cpu. HP does it with a BIOS that will not allow you to mess with anything: non-standard very, very low wattage ps ,uninspired mobo, and bizarrely one 8 Gig stick.
It has 2 M.2s. Of course you can in real life only use one M.2 slot? Why because Big Bioxers do weird things for no apparent reason.

I all fairness,this box was aimed at businesses.

But if you still think I'm a fool,look around you. Pre-builts are rapidly becoming the best "value" (relatively speaking).
Want proof? Come back in a week. IF Best Buy still has the HPs in stock (big if),lets see if they are $699.

It is getting to be if you want to do a decent build without getting totally ripped off,your only option is to buy a pre-built and rape out any part you need.

I've been computer geekin' since PDP-11 days and I've never seen anything this bad.

If you are not going to be adding extra parts like a video card to a system there are quite a few normal pre-built systems that are fine. But the only price and available issue is with the video cards so for someone that just leaves the system as is or just adds RAM or a larger/faster drive that is not an issue.
Your plan to take out the CPU and drive from the box and stick it in another case and motherboard though is a really bad idea, which was the point of the posts.

Buy it and leave it, no issues. Buying a full system and planning on ripping out the CPU to put in another build, not so smart.

Solution