[SOLVED] Mobo/ram ? issue

Apr 10, 2022
Hello folks. I have recently bought the necessary components to build my pc, but doesn't go well at all. I hope to get more experience from you all as to what I can do in order to make it work. So basically I'm getting this debug code 00 on Mobo after one of my ram sticks just failed and a little smoke came out. The ram doesn't light up since its rgb,but the other one since I have 2 x 16 A Data 5200 mhz is working however it doesn't work on the same place where the other one failed.

I've tried the cmos to reset it,took the battery out,completely drained the energy,but still I get this 00 thing on the mobo. I have a asrock z690 taichi motherboard with an i9 12900k and corsair h150i elite lcd cooler. The motherboard starts without much of a problem except the static 00 on that display. I get the error with everything in place on the mobo and without nothing. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks.

Solution
Hello folks. I have recently bought the necessary components to build my pc, but doesn't go well at all. I hope to get more experience from you all as to what I can do in order to make it work. So basically I'm getting this debug code 00 on Mobo after one of my ram sticks just failed and a little smoke came out. The ram doesn't light up since its rgb,but the other one since I have 2 x 16 A Data 5200 mhz is working however it doesn't work on the same place where the other one failed.

I've tried the cmos to reset it,took the battery out,completely drained the energy,but still I get this 00 thing on the mobo. I have a asrock z690 taichi motherboard with an i9 12900k and corsair h150i elite lcd cooler. The motherboard starts without...

I've tried the cmos to reset it,took the battery out,completely drained the energy,but still I get this 00 thing on the mobo. I have a asrock z690 taichi motherboard with an i9 12900k and corsair h150i elite lcd cooler. The motherboard starts without much of a problem except the static 00 on that display. I get the error with everything in place on the mobo and without nothing. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks.

Qcode 00 is a broad flag and difficult to pinpoint as it's not documented, however it is very often and more than likely a hardware issue, either the MB, PSU or CPU failure and each in turn will have to be tested.
You stated the MB starts without much of a problem.? Qcode 00 appears during the Post cycle (if there is an issue) and does not continue on to the OS till the issue is fixed.

From your description, I fear the worst.

Quote/
"I'm getting this debug code 00 on Mobo after one of my ram sticks just failed and a little smoke came out" End Quote"

I would say this (little smoke) has me worried and maybe now you have a dead RAM slot and that can be the end of your MB or limit RAM should the other slot prove OK.

Qcode 00 usually ends up with you having to breadboard your PC to save the frustration of a difficult trouble shoot.

My advice is to Breadboard now and test your RAM and the MB slots, then add other hardware to test and check their status.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 10, 2022
Thank you for your answer! I didn't know what a breadboarding is,but as to how you mentioned in your message, been there done that. The stick that failed in the slot where smoke came out(with it being in the motherboard) It won't turn on(I mean the motherboard) ,but with the good one in any of the slots,it start,but still with the debug set on 00 and the cooler is blinking red. Rgb and fans are working. I assume that it was a short circuit right after the ram failed. I'm not sure where else I have to look. CPU is in order and no bent spins on the mobo. I used to have different kind of debug codes,but as of last night after the failed ram ,I am getting only this.
Thanks.

To breadboard is to remove the MB from the case to trouble shoot on the bench. A pain I know however, It saves a lot of frustration and time when trouble shooting 00.

Reason also being the electrical short could be between the MB and standoffs.

Should your system start with a Dimm module in the other slots and you boot to Windows then you have a choice. either put up with lesser RAM by leaving the dead slot unoccupied or RMA the Motherboard.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Did it blow smoke on the initial build or where you trying for an overclock / XMP? Either way smoke is a really bad sign. Some computer repair shops have the equipment to test RAM sticks individually. I would definitely find a shop that has one and see if they will check your modules. Beyond this though your bigger issue is that you may have toasted something on the motherboard. If that is the case it may be as simple as moving good memory into the other slot set. In any case from what you are describing at your experience level I would highly suggest taking both the motherboard and the ram into a repair shop with someone who has the equipment to test them and find what is broken.

Apr 10, 2022
I was just busy putting all the components in their place and I haven't even gotten anywhere near to install windows or the Vga. I genuinely think that the slot where the ram failed + the ram itself got toasted therefore the result might be both(Mobo and the Ram stick. I will send them back so they can hopefully help me out, but first I'll have to give them a call.
Thanks for the help!
Did it blow smoke on the initial build or where you trying for an overclock / XMP? Either way smoke is a really bad sign. Some computer repair shops have the equipment to test RAM sticks individually. I would definitely find a shop that has one and see if they will check your modules. Beyond this though your bigger issue is that you may have toasted something on the motherboard. If that is the case it may be as simple as moving good memory into the other slot set. In any case from what you are describing at your experience level I would highly suggest taking both the motherboard and the ram into a repair shop with someone who has the equipment to test them and find what is broken.

Apr 10, 2022
To breadboard is to remove the MB from the case to trouble shoot on the bench. A pain I know however, It saves a lot of frustration and time when trouble shooting 00.

Reason also being the electrical short could be between the MB and standoffs.

Should your system start with a Dimm module in the other slots and you boot to Windows then you have a choice. either put up with lesser RAM by leaving the dead slot unoccupied or RMA the Motherboard.

I can't try nothing else except switching to a different psu from my old rig to try it with the new one. I use now a thermal take 850 w psu rgb and will have to try it with a 500 w psu. I don't even know anymore. I will be sending 4 components back such as :CPU, Mobo, cooler and the ram so they can test it.
Thanks for the info and the help !

I can't try nothing else except switching to a different psu from my old rig to try it with the new one. I use now a thermal take 850 w psu rgb and will have to try it with a 500 w psu. I don't even know anymore. I will be sending 4 components back such as :CPU, Mobo, cooler and the ram so they can test it.
Thanks for the info and the help !

Please do not test your system with the 500W PSU. There is considerable Wattage difference which can cause more problems. It's ok the other way round by using a larger wattage unit. when swapping PSUs
Are you suspecting the PSU to be the issue?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022
I haven't done it,but instead I've packed everything almost as to how they came and I will be sending them back tomorrow so they can take a look and also building it for me. I have given up on the feeling of doing it on my own. Thank you for reaching out to me. Have a good day ! I will let you know if this topic won't be closed how it turned out!

jasonf2

Distinguished
I was just busy putting all the components in their place and I haven't even gotten anywhere near to install windows or the Vga. I genuinely think that the slot where the ram failed + the ram itself got toasted therefore the result might be both(Mobo and the Ram stick. I will send them back so they can hopefully help me out, but first I'll have to give them a call.
Thanks for the help!
Not that it matters too much at this point, but all system components should be installed before applying power. Depending on the system a lack of graphics card will not let the unit post.

Apr 10, 2022
Not that it matters too much at this point, but all system components should be installed before applying power. Depending on the system a lack of graphics card will not let the unit post.

Hello ! Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't actually tried to start it with the GPU in place cause I thought it's not necessary. I might be a big rookie when it comes to building a desktop,but one thing I know for sure, and that is install everything and psu the last one. I couldn't find anywhere how the motherboard Asrock z690 taichi lga 1700 will react with other components. Even my h150i elite lcd cooler was giving me a hard time by blinking red on the fans and on the.cooler itself. I had pre applied TP on it so I didn't put more thermal paste.And like I've mentioned above.Every fan was spinning and rgb was working. (probably the commander thing from the cooler is the problem based on what I've found on internet. I don't know 🤐. Have a good one!

Apr 10, 2022
Quick update: It seemed that the motherboard,ram and the cooler were all defect! The company didn't say much except this 😂👍. They replaced all 3 of them with new ones and now it's working. I still have to install windows and the GPU and i will see from there what and how. Have a good one !