[SOLVED] Mobo reading CPU error ?

bwam1997

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
I'm building a pc for a friend and for the life of me I can't get it to work.

Gigabyte Intel Z390 D Socket 1151 ATX Motherboard
Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Kolink Enclave 700W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
i7 7700k CPU
1050 ti gtx GPU

I've built 3 pcs before and never had a problem but I'm deffo not an expert I think all hardware should work together but listed it anyway in case I'm wrong. I built the pc and when powering on the lights and fans started for a second then stopped I tried a lot of troubleshooting (same as down below) and decided to return the CPU for a new one. It comes and still getting the CPU fault light on the mobo but the pc is just not booting now all the lights and fans stay on. I've tried:

• taking the GPU out and a stick of ram
  • taking both sticks of ram out (didn't get the dram error light on the mobo)
  • taking the CMOS battery out and waiting 10 minutes
  • checked all the wiring countless times
the CPU cooler fan is running and plugged into the CPU cooler slot on the mobo
I am happy to try more troubleshooting but I'm not an expert so please try and dumb it down for me lol my friend has spent so much money on this and I'm terrified I won't be able to get it running everything was brand new other than the CPU and GPU.

Solution
thank you so much for taking the time to check that for me im an idiot i just thought coz it was an lga 1151 it would be supported i didn't think of checking it

No problem, often see posts from guys who assume that if a CPU is the same socket type as the mobo, then it should be compatible. If only it was that easy!

bwam1997

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
No problem, often see posts from guys who assume that if a CPU is the same socket type as the mobo, then it should be compatible. If only it was that easy!
if only so im guessing the best option now is to try and return the CPU ( its from cex and there normally good and i only got it yesterday and they have a 2 day good will return) and get one that it supports

Reactions: Herr B