Question Mobo scratches around screws underneath

mtracy1991

Reputable
I was installing my crosshair vii and somehow sceatched underneath the motherboard around the standoffs. There are a few traces that were also scratched in the making, underneath as well. Opinions? Should I return this mobo and get another one? It was giving me issues while trying to install it in my blackhawk ultra case. I finished bolting it down to the case and now will install the remaining hardware tomorrow and see how the pc runs.

If you scratched it and broke it, they are not going to replace it. Warranty doesn't cover things physical like that. They know it was made "perfect" and wouldnt leave the factory with big scratches on it.
A scratch isn't going to hurt anything unless you have gone through the track itself.

Observations:

Surface scratches are just cosmetic and won't affect performance.

You either did damage it or did not, so at this point just trudge on and complete the build to find out.

If you DID damage it it's highly likely it's associated with something not important: like one of the unused PCIe slots. Or maybe something that you can put an AIC in to replace: like Audio section or NIC.

You might also could repair the damage: that depends on location and your skills. A picture would help.

Lastly: you did the damage so you can't return it, warranty doesn't cover your actions. You're stuck with it so disabuse yourself of any notions otherwise.

EDIT: you'll know you cut through the trace if it doesn't work... but you could also see it if you have a magnifier or take a picture zoomed in macro mode. You'll see some bright copper where you scratched away the solder resist, and if the scratch cut the trace you'll see a small gap. If you're clever you can bridge that gap with solder. It gets more difficult if solder resist as been scratched away from surrounding traces.

Last edited:

mtracy1991

Reputable
Here are some pictures for you guys, all input will be much appreciated.

2m3mjol.jpg

2zy9d1u.jpg

ayspa9.jpg

2yl6v6w.jpg

It's very hard to tell from these since they're so fuzzy...you've difinitely scratched away solder resist coating since bright copper is exposed. But that alone isn't going to make it inoperable.

There is one picture that looks like a possible gap in a trace...but it could be a spot where the solder resist is still intact it's just too hard to tell.

mtracy1991

Reputable
It's very hard to tell from these since they're so fuzzy...you've difinitely scratched away solder resist coating since bright copper is exposed. But that alone isn't going to make it inoperable.

There is one picture that looks like a possible gap in a trace...but it could be a spot where the solder resist is still intact it's just too hard to tell.

Standby, let me get some better pictures.