Question MOBO short circuit ? Component damaged ?

Feb 5, 2021
Hello, I am contacting you because I had a problem on my new pc.
Here is the config:
-R5 5660X
-XFX Speedster 319 RX 6800
-Seasonic FOCUS PX 650 W Platinium
-Aorus B550 Pro AC
-CORSAIR Dominator

Yesterday evening I wanted to connect a usb-c cable to the back of the pc (mac cable) to be able to connect my phone as a modem.
Without entering the cable, it was enough that it is in contact with the port for the pc to shut down suddenly. I did not know where it came from at the beginning but after a few seconds my pc was powered again and it did it again when I wanted to insert the cable.

I have already started the return procedure for the motherboard but am worried about the processor and ram, read that they could be affected.
Do you have an idea ? Could they have become unusable?

Thank you in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if your have a grounding issue in your house or at the very least the room in which the computer is situated in. You might want to also look into breadboarding the system and seeing if the issue persists with the bare minimum. Furthermore, you're asked to power the GPU with a 750W PSU.

Feb 5, 2021
Thanks for your answer and thanks for welcoming me. The thing is that this is not really a new build since I switched almost every part of my recent new build and I never encountered grounding issues and that specific cable was working really well before on a different motherboard.

EDIT : In fact I remember something, I plugged the cable in the wrong port ( a regular usb port) so maybe the cable went to far and shorted the motherboard ? How are the odds I damaged CPU/GPU/RAM since when I did that the computer shut down directly like there was a power outage. Moreover that happened towards the back of the board with no spark or no smell of fire so I'm not really sure if it was a short.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY