Question MOBO short circuit ? Component damaged ?

Feb 5, 2021
Hello, I am contacting you because I had a problem on my new pc.
Here is the config:
-R5 5660X
-XFX Speedster 319 RX 6800
-Seasonic FOCUS PX 650 W Platinium
-Aorus B550 Pro AC
-CORSAIR Dominator

Yesterday evening I wanted to connect a usb-c cable to the back of the pc (mac cable) to be able to connect my phone as a modem.
Without entering the cable, it was enough that it is in contact with the port for the pc to shut down suddenly. I did not know where it came from at the beginning but after a few seconds my pc was powered again and it did it again when I wanted to insert the cable.

I have already started the return procedure for the motherboard but am worried about the processor and ram, read that they could be affected.
Do you have an idea ? Could they have become unusable?

Thank you in advance.

Feb 5, 2021
Thanks for your answer and thanks for welcoming me. The thing is that this is not really a new build since I switched almost every part of my recent new build and I never encountered grounding issues and that specific cable was working really well before on a different motherboard.

EDIT : In fact I remember something, I plugged the cable in the wrong port ( a regular usb port) so maybe the cable went to far and shorted the motherboard ? How are the odds I damaged CPU/GPU/RAM since when I did that the computer shut down directly like there was a power outage. Moreover that happened towards the back of the board with no spark or no smell of fire so I'm not really sure if it was a short.

Last edited: