Question mobo sparking

Oct 28, 2020
hi, i got a problem today when i was playing games, i got asus b-450 plus motherboard and in middle of the game my pc just shut down followed by good amount of sparks. after that little shock followed by previous events there were no lights on pc, just nothing, after couple of minutes i tried to start the computer to see where the sparks come from i found out that under the rgb control something there is a little block that sparks after powering on the pc. the mobo is faily new (not even 6 months) and i would like to know what causes this? i probably will post pictures tomorrow. i tried the psu with my old pc and it works flawlessy so thats probably not part reason. Please help much apperciate it!

specs:
AMD Ryzen 3600
Prime-b450-plus
Msi geforce gtx 1660ti gaming x
Hyperx fury 8gb ddr4 (x2)
aand corsair cx550 as psu

drives:
Samsung 860 EVO SSD 250gt m.2 SATA (boot drive)
Seagate barracuda 1tb 64mb 7200rpm 3.5" SATAIII (6gb/s)
Kingston A400 480gt SATA3 2,5" -ssd

edit:24566 i think i found the g spot in the picture on the rgb_header the g letter seems a little burned and yes thats the best pic i could have since we dont do sunlight up here at north
image1.jpg

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Sparks!

Under no circumstances should you plug in and/or power up that PC again.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

The most you can do, for the moment, is to unplug the PC and open the case.

Look for signs of damage using a bright flashlight and magnifying glass.

Damage being signs of heat, burning, melting, discoloration, swollen motherboard components, kinked cables, etc..

Do indeed post photographs and be sure to update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Ensure that the photographs are focused, free of glare, and labeled as applicable.

Oct 28, 2020
Sparks!

Under no circumstances should you plug in and/or power up that PC again.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

The most you can do, for the moment, is to unplug the PC and open the case.

Look for signs of damage using a bright flashlight and magnifying glass.

Damage being signs of heat, burning, melting, discoloration, swollen motherboard components, kinked cables, etc..

Do indeed post photographs and be sure to update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Ensure that the photographs are focused, free of glare, and labeled as applicable.

the os information is kinda tricky part since it is installed to my m.2 drive and this old asus crosshair v formula doesnt have slot for it. ill go take pictures now from the damage spots.

Ralston18

Titan
No need for the OS information - just do not turn on that computer again.

I could not make out the damage in the provided photo.... However it does appear that there may be a missing standoff....

Send a few more photographs - one or two up close on the damage and a couple of photographs showing the overall motherboard.

Use a lamp or other light source to make the motherboard photos brighter and clearer. Watch out for glare.

Reactions: DMAN999
Oct 28, 2020
well this is the best lightning i can have in this house with <Mod Edit> camera but lets hope it goes well:
image1.jpg
And the full mobo:
image0.jpg

and i remember that i had all the stands/screws in, heres a little extra from my checking whats up:
image0.png