Mobo Supporting Gpu/M2/PCIe Wifi under $130?

Absynthe2k5

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Greets,

Currently upgrading from my failed attempt to future proof 4 years ago by going with 1155 Ivy bridge.

Looking for a mobo that will support a 1060, and m2 pcie ssd and a pcie wifi card (I have no ability to hard wire :() for a relatively cheap price. I currently have no SSD so upgrading to SSD and running it via SATA is still a huge upgrade right?

I was originally looking at the ASROCK Fatality K4 which comes in around 90 bucks after rebate but it only has 2x PCIe.

On a side note I also have a 1TB HDD and a 500G HDD. Can I connect all three to take advantage of the extra 500Gigs. I play a crap ton of different games and many of these are near 100gigs in storage these days. I would like to keep the SSD just for the OS and store all steam games to the 1TB then use the 500gig for misc crap. I know to set raid you need two identical drives but can this be done non raid?

WarWolverineWarrior

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013
1. My i7-3770k runs just fine with my gtx 1080.
2. You can't future proof on a small budget.
3. M2 slot motherboards are expensive and usually supported by 6000 series intel cpu cuz they have 20 pcie lanes so they can spare 4 for M2 and 16 for GPU.

and to be honest unless you have

1-more than 1 m2 drive

2-ssd raid drives

a m2 will not seem any faster than say an 850 evo since a good ssd is so fast any way

when you have either 1 or 2 then reading /writing to and from the m2 will slaughter a ssd

but other than that a good ssd is what most people would need

oh and i have a m2

and a ssd

and a ssd raid

so have actually tried booting of each,opening,running software etc on all of them

and if i didnt know which i had picked to boot from i couldnt tell you which was which or say any felt faster than the other

seems to have 2 m2 ports at full speed--ie pci-e x4

or 32Gbs to put it another way

though not familiar with that board so really need to have a read up

theres only so many pci-e lanes so populating the m2s might lower the speed of your gpu to x8

or disable some sata ports etc

Absynthe2k5

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
In the product specs it does mention that populating the second slot will lower the main to 8x. I keep reading that GPU's don't really need more then 8x but I really am a novice in terms of all these details so I don't really know what to believe lol.

Maybe just run the SSD via sata express? I don't have the option to hard wire so the PCIe wifi is a must unfortunately.

Absynthe2k5

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks again for your replies m8. I get nervous when ordering new stuff lol. The SSD tech is all new to me I have only a mechanical drive. In any case The system should blow my old one outta the water in all aspects after 4 nearly 5 years of use.

Current:
i3 2120 Geforce 650 and 8 gigs ram to the new set up New:i5 6600k, 1060 6GB, 16G Ram and my first SSD.

Again, I can't thank you enough for sticking it out and helping me through this lol!

yes you will love a ssd like the 850 evo for example

m2 will replace 2.5 drives of that i have no doubt but at the moment they are still expensive

and confusing to people because they come in sata and pci-e

and just because your motherboard has a m2 slot doesnt mean it can run a full speed m2

but glad to help

Absynthe2k5

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Sigh, I almost purchased
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAGSDJ0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER#Ask

Then I am looking at the picture and it says SATA 6gb/s Yet it looks like an m.2 connect. I guess I just don't know what types of cheaper SSD will take advantage of the m.2 connector on that mobo I linked. So confusing to the novice. I know I can't afford the PCIe SSD's they start @$100 or more it seems. Was looking for something in the 50 to 75 dollar range which eliminates intel and Samsung.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS