Question Mobo updated with newest BIOS, wont post with 2 sticks of RAM now

Dec 5, 2019
Hi there, first time builder and poster.
I finally put together all my new parts today

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8gb 3200MHZ
Zotac GTX 1660 Super AMP

Booted it for the first time and it went to BIOS noooo problem.
So I checked the BIOS ver. against current and it was out of date, so I updated it.
Booted to BIOS after installation and I noticed my new RAM (at this point both sticks
were in a working) was only running at 2133MHz, did some sleuthing and I found I needed to
activate A-XMP for it to OC up to 3200 according to MSI
After I did this, I left the computer on the BIOS screen for a while, while I prepped a usb
to install windows on it. When I moved the mouse on screen a few minutes later, the BIOS had frozen.
Restarted the computer.
Now it wont post and the MSI EZ Debug LEDS gives me a solid CPU for a few seconds before going off then a solid DRAM continuously, wont boot.

If I use 1 stick of RAM it boots to BIOS no problem.

Im really hoping for a magic bullet here, thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums! :)

Can you include the make and model of your PSU? You should breadboard the system at this stage and work with only one stick of ram. With that foundation laid down, power down the system and remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing it.

See if that helps.

Dec 5, 2019
Hi there,

I can get the system to boot with only 1 stick of ram, and ive tried resetting the CMOS with a jumper, Ill try the battery method just now.

PSU model is an Antec 550W NeoEco

Dec 5, 2019
OK, update. While using only 1 stick of RAM I defaulted the settings in the BIOS and activated A-XMP. RAM voltage was sitting at 1.372V which for the ram is within its tested range. I saved the info, turned off the pc, put the 2nd ram stick in. This time the boot behaviour was the same as if it was booting correctly without error, HOWEVER it got only so far before the boot sequence crashed completely, it did this again, then I assume it has defaulted to default BIOS settings. (Assuming this because there is a RAM fail retry setting within the BIOS which was set to 2?) This is making me believe that the RAM is gubbed.

I have now tested the system with some Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Gb 3000MHz and hey ho its booted with no problems.

Just for learning purposes, why would two sticks from the same packet like the ones im having problems with be acting this way?