[SOLVED] Mobo USB & Case USB headers

Solution
Thanks for the reply. I hear you. It is a build just with some parts I had lying around. I managed to get the front power going by playing around with pin locations. But can't seem to get the front USB no matter what combination I use. Doesn't help that the Asus case has custom front usb headers also.

Might have to just let it be a basic budget build with no front USB. which would be a shame.
You could always slap in a PCIe card with internal type USB headers for cheap if you really wanted to get that going. I can't find one with an internal header with a quick search but here's one you could wire up if you have a little soldering skill, or an example of what I'm talking about you can use to find one with internal pinout rather...

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
You are probably burnt, man. HP, Dell, Gateway, etc almost all use proprietary MBs. Even though the headers may look like a standard USB or 24pin the actual pinout on their board's traces and pins may not be the standardized wiring. They are intended to be a closed ecosystem that forces you to use their components. Just spend the $75-$100 for a cheap board that will work with the processor and ram out of that system. (Since CPU and RAMM are standard across ALL manufacturers you can drop them in any compatible board, your power supply is a 50/50 on whether you can transfer it or not.)

Feb 21, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I hear you. It is a build just with some parts I had lying around. I managed to get the front power going by playing around with pin locations. But can't seem to get the front USB no matter what combination I use. Doesn't help that the Asus case has custom front usb headers also.

Might have to just let it be a basic budget build with no front USB. which would be a shame.

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019

You could always slap in a PCIe card with internal type USB headers for cheap if you really wanted to get that going. I can't find one with an internal header with a quick search but here's one you could wire up if you have a little soldering skill, or an example of what I'm talking about you can use to find one with internal pinout rather than this USB type A. It's $3.75USD.

(Just FYI the power switch header will work if it gets that momentary switch across the correct 2 pins. The USB header, though, requires that all wires connect to the CORRECT pins. 5V Power, Ground, Data + power, and Data - power. This is for USB 2.0. USB 3.0 has like 9 different wires.There is no good way to find which pins are which though without a wiring diagram or some electrical knowhow and a lot of time.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2632212023...07N3nHTv0JRBGGTHljWC6nsBO8RejL5MaAghlEALw_wcB

Solution
Feb 21, 2021
You could always slap in a PCIe card with internal type USB headers for cheap if you really wanted to get that going. I can't find one with an internal header with a quick search but here's one you could wire up if you have a little soldering skill, or an example of what I'm talking about you can use to find one with internal pinout rather than this USB type A. It's $3.75USD.

Thanks for the reply. Yes seems a bit trickier than I first thought. Don't think I will get lucky. I might just get one of the PCIe usb cards. Or maybe a USB hub so not having to go to the back of the pc if swapping usbs in and out.

Reactions: ChangeinPortland