mugaro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hello guys,

Had this pc for many years.

Intel I7 7700k
ROG STRIX Z270E mobo
Corsair h100i AIO cooler

I noticed I came home one day and my pc was off when I had left it on. It was trying to do a windows update but I kept getting my CPU is overheating in bios. So I watched temp in bios slowly rise from 30c to 60c. Then I figured it was an issue with the cooler. I moved the coolers cable around then the temp started dropping to normal. Then I turned PC On and loaded a game the temp then went back to being far too hot (80c). When that game normally makes the cpu run at around 40-50c.

So while the computer was on I decided to again move the AIO cables around trying to degunk it. Then I checked screws and some seemed a little loose so I tightened them slightly...the PC then froze on the screen and now it wont boot post BIOS.

All the lights and fans are on when I turn the pc on... I just see no display in bios... is there any way to trouble shoot and try and fix this?

Solution
Cpu is a flat sheet that sits inside a socket full of 1150 little springs. There's a very valid reason for stressing that a cooler or pump Must be tightened down in a regulated fashion, either a gradual X or back and forth pattern, only tightening a turn at a time. This is to retain even pressure by the cold plate on the IHS, and to prevent overpressure on one quadrent of the cpu on the socket pins.

For some reason, the top right corner of Intels where the memory controller is is especially susceptible to pressure differentials and during post will put the kibosh on everything if it's not happy.

You may need to very carefully inspect the socket for pins that may be warped and reseat the cpu and cooler, properly, making sure all...
Hi mugaro.

Seems like your AIO was faulty. Like you said it had gunk or the pump is dead but one thing for sure is that a CPU overheating it can't be a 1000 things.

Remove the AIO. Remove the thermal paste. Reapply new paste and mount the AIO again to see if this fix the issue. If it doesn't you will need to replace the AIO.

mugaro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hi mugaro.

Seems like your AIO was faulty. Like you said it had gunk or the pump is dead but one thing for sure is that a CPU overheating it can't be a 1000 things.

Remove the AIO. Remove the thermal paste. Reapply new paste and mount the AIO again to see if this fix the issue. If it doesn't you will need to replace the AIO.

Even if the AIO was the issue wouldn't it still post into bios but overheat still? I reseated everything except the cpu/aio and same problem.

Even if the AIO was the issue wouldnt it still post into bios but overheat still? I reseated everything except the cpu/aio and same problem.

You say it was working before you screw the screws tighter. Maybe they are too tight. It happens that the CPU cannot post because of having too much pressure on it.

Not only that but you could have a few bent pins in the CPU socket.

The only way to know is to remove everything and check. If it's not the CPU socket pins reinstall everything and see if it post again.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu is a flat sheet that sits inside a socket full of 1150 little springs. There's a very valid reason for stressing that a cooler or pump Must be tightened down in a regulated fashion, either a gradual X or back and forth pattern, only tightening a turn at a time. This is to retain even pressure by the cold plate on the IHS, and to prevent overpressure on one quadrent of the cpu on the socket pins.

For some reason, the top right corner of Intels where the memory controller is is especially susceptible to pressure differentials and during post will put the kibosh on everything if it's not happy.

You may need to very carefully inspect the socket for pins that may be warped and reseat the cpu and cooler, properly, making sure all screws are snugged correctly and not overtight.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution

mugaro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I've reseated the cpu applied new paste and AIO cooler and everything is working fine. Problem is 100% the cooler. Temps are crazy high during idle and during loading anything small I hit 100c super fast which means the cooler isnt working. Weirdly enough the cooler was still under warranty after 5 years, I have a refurbished new model coming my way in 3-5 days.