[SOLVED] Mobo won't post with my GPU

sokratos195

Prominent
Feb 9, 2019
My mobo don't read my graphics card but reads every other card.

And my graphics card works on every other mobo besides my mobo. By no read i mean doesn't post/no display on screen.

This happened when i was upgrading to a new mobo and cpu.

Specs:
Rosewill 750w gold modular capstone
Ryzen 5 2600
b450m pro vdh max
Zotac 1060 6gb
Adata 4gb ddr4 1rx16 pc4-2400t-uc0-11

Solution
to be sure, the update is completely done, resetting the BIOS should be done afterwards. In my opinion the jumper reset method is the safer way, that the CMOS is really cleared.

The Zotac GPU is connected to the power supply by an 8pin PCIe power connector and not only to a 6pin? (depending on the exact Zotac 1060 6GB model you have)

How did you connect the monitor to the Zotac? DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA,... any adapter used?

Which BIOS version is now on the motherboard? Have a look inside the BIOS menu to be sure.

In which slot is the RAM installed? DIMM A2 is recommended for one stick

Which other GPUs are running fine with this system?

Which other hardware do run the Zotac GPU? Which motherboard, CPU and power supply model can run it?

sokratos195

Prominent
Feb 9, 2019
update the BIOS of your motherboard with another GPU and try again after the update with your zotac graphics card

if it doesn´t recognize it after that, try resetting the BIOS by jumper (clrCMOS jumper -> power has to be unplugged before)
Does that have to be in a particular order because i reset cmos first and then updated bios and also question i didn't reset with a jumper, just took it out and put after 5 mins and pc displayed bios resetted. Maybe worth mentioning gpu is used and possibly refurbished.

to be sure, the update is completely done, resetting the BIOS should be done afterwards. In my opinion the jumper reset method is the safer way, that the CMOS is really cleared.

The Zotac GPU is connected to the power supply by an 8pin PCIe power connector and not only to a 6pin? (depending on the exact Zotac 1060 6GB model you have)

How did you connect the monitor to the Zotac? DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA,... any adapter used?

Which BIOS version is now on the motherboard? Have a look inside the BIOS menu to be sure.

In which slot is the RAM installed? DIMM A2 is recommended for one stick

Which other GPUs are running fine with this system?

Which other hardware do run the Zotac GPU? Which motherboard, CPU and power supply model can run it?

Solution

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Just to be sure:
You've tried to re-seat the graphics card and made sure it has connection to both sides of the slot?
I had that problem some decade ago when the motherboard wasn't perfectly aligned with the slot openings in the case. After mounting the graphics card it was slightly tilted relative to the motherboard (with the outer end "drooping" down a little, resulting in lacking connection to the slot.)
After adjustment of the card position everything worked fine.