Question MoBo won't recognise 2nd HDD (yeah I know, but I have read and tried)

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
It's an H570M Pro4 1.8 BIOS. FWIW I am running Win 10 home 64 bit. Of course that does not see a secondary drive either.

I have already installed one extra HDD on the machine, which came with an SSD installed. I do not think that was a plug and play, but I sorted it...can't remember how :(.

Now I am trying to install a 2nd HDD. What seems to be happening is that either one of the HDDs will be OK, in either SATA slot and with mix and match controller/power cables, but not both at once. The BIOS says that SATA 0 is OK, but SATAs 1-3 are N/A. I have used f9 to reset default BIOS setting, but that made no difference after a reboot.

IIRC (?) I set some switch to open up SATA 0 back then, but cannot find it now.

Really appreciate any help on this.

Nick

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of your PSU as well.

As for the drive you're adding, might want to mention the age of said drive as well as it's make and model. Ona side note, does the drive work off of a donor system(to validate that the drive isn't the issue)?

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
From the specifications page for your motherboard https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H570M Pro4/index.asp#Specification

"If M2_2 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled."
Is your SSD a M2 type or a 2.5" type (ressembles a small HDD)

Thanks for the reply. I saw that through a blur of new info and (foolishly but desperately) passed it over. All I want is two hard drives! Very much a "user" of PCs these days.

I am assuming that the fact that SATA 3_1 being disabled will not stop me using one of the other ones (SATA 3_2 and SATA 3_3)?

ummmmm I need to look into this. It' all totally new to me. It looks as if you have provided a clue and really good one. But I need to look at a MoBo diagram and the board itself and work out what is where, I am afraid.

Nick

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Hmmm...not looking good. It seems I do have a M2 type SSD and AFAICS the MoBo has only 2 SATA sockets..._0 and _1.

And to think I accepted this MoBo as a substitute for another that was not available. :(

Please somebody tell me I am wrong! I cannot find a layout for this actual board, only something that shows multiple SATA sockets.

Nick

It's an H570M Pro4 1.8 BIOS. FWIW I am running Win 10 home 64 bit. Of course that does not see a secondary drive either.

I have already installed one extra HDD on the machine, which came with an SSD installed. I do not think that was a plug and play, but I sorted it...can't remember how :(.

Now I am trying to install a 2nd HDD. What seems to be happening is that either one of the HDDs will be OK, in either SATA slot and with mix and match controller/power cables, but not both at once. The BIOS says that SATA 0 is OK, but SATAs 1-3 are N/A. I have used f9 to reset default BIOS setting, but that made no difference after a reboot.

IIRC (?) I set some switch to open up SATA 0 back then, but cannot find it now.

Really appreciate any help on this.

Nick
Refer to page 15 of the manual

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/H570M Pro4.pdf

You have 2 sata connectors facing upwards and 2 facing to the right (which would be the front) on the forward edge of the motherboard. So it shouldn't take long to try all 4 connectors and see which ones work with your 1st hdd; if more than 1 connector works, you should be OK.

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
HAH! OK. Thanks.
That is the layout diag I could not find.

I even looked at the little dome and thought maybe it covered something, but not that the SATA ports would be out the side. :( Nasty trick!

I shall try and report.

Nick