[SOLVED] Mobo won't recognize GPU after BIOS update

Sep 24, 2019
So yesterday I assembled my very first PC. All went smooth, I had a successful boot and installed windows. For some idiotic reason, I decided to flash the bios (as AMD advertised better zen2 performance with the new update) with the latest version from the ASUS page, at which point I started having troubles since the mobo diag system started hanging on the VGA LED. So it goes RAM (I think?), then CPU, then VGA, then the BOOT led flashes. In my case it goes all smooth up to VGA, then shortly jumps to the BOOT led, only to return once more to VGA, at which point it hangs there.

What the hell have I done wrong? Granted I maybe shouldn't have toyed with the BIOS, but I don't believe the MOBO should be bricked because the BIOS flashing was smooth until the end - until the system rebooted.

It was a nerve wracking experience to assemble all the parts, especially since the space inside the case is very cramped (it's the Obsidian 500D if anyone is wondering) so I could technically take the GPU out but I'd rather not since I would have to remove the CPU tower cooler first. Also the mobo has a rollback bios USB slot on the back, with a button above it, so maybe you can downgrade the BIOS even without accessing it? I'm a n00b so am not sure.

Mobo is ASUS ROG STRIX x570-f (in retrospect, a waste of 300 Euros), GPU is Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Strix.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated

Solution
Did you set the Previous BIOS to the Optimized Default settings Before you updated the BIOS ?
I'm guessing that you did not.
I would Clear the CMOS (RTC), that should remove any remnants from the old BIOS and hopefully the newer BIOS will work as it should.
Do This:
  • Unplug the PC (PSU).
  • Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  • Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  • Plug the PC back in.
Look on page 1-2 for the CLRTC jumper
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E15201_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

• Press the Power Button to turn the PC on...

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Did you set the Previous BIOS to the Optimized Default settings Before you updated the BIOS ?
I'm guessing that you did not.
I would Clear the CMOS (RTC), that should remove any remnants from the old BIOS and hopefully the newer BIOS will work as it should.
Do This:
  • Unplug the PC (PSU).
  • Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  • Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  • Plug the PC back in.
Look on page 1-2 for the CLRTC jumper
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E15201_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

• Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  • Repeatedly tap the DEL key
  • A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  • Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
  • Save and exit the BIOS.
  • Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Solution
Sep 27, 2019
@DMAN99 I have the exact same problem as op (BIOS & VGA led lit with qcode: 02) and I did all the steps that you told him to do.. That stops the BIOS led being lit, but I still have the vga led with D9 q code.. I have made sure that my graphics card works on other rig and even in this rig previously prior to the bios update..

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
First set the BIOS to the Optimized Default settings then save and exit the BIOS.
Then try unplugging the HDMI/DP cable from the GPU and the Monitor and reboot.
Then plug it back in and see if it gets recognized when you reboot.
If not, make sure the cable from the PSU is tight at the card and at the PSU.
If it still doesn't get recognized try removing the GPU and then re-seating it to make sure it is fully seated.

Sep 27, 2019
Sorry I am not rly good with these stuff. I've tried what you said just now (unplugging dp from gpu&monitor), there seem to be no changes.. I am not sure how to set the bios sett when my gpu is not displaying anything for this rig since my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics. I've also tried without my sleeved pcie extension cable just to see whether it's cable issue or not.. as for the seating no problem I guess..

3900x with X570-E board..

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Yeah, you can't set the BIOS to the Optimized Defaults until you actually can see the BIOS screen (my bad).
I personally would Clear the CMOS again, using the exact steps I listed above with only one stick of RAM in Slot A2 (Second from the CPU) and see if that will le t it boot.
Sometimes you have to clear the CMOS 2, 3 or even more times to get it to fully reset the BIOS.

PS
What RAM kit and GPU do you have (exact make and model numbers) ?

Sep 27, 2019
Alright, will give give cmos clearing another try.. dram is what I havent mess with, like removing some etc2..

2x (2x8gb) Team TF6D416G3600HC18EDC01

ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING

Sep 27, 2019
@DMAN999 I have tried with only one stick using A2 slot referring the manual which is 4th / last from the cpu.. and also did clrtc 3 more times to make sure.. it it went back showing 02 qcode for all the three tries i did..

Should I just send this to asus and let them solve it? Cause I am pretty sure I did the bios update correctly.. or is there anything else I could try?

I gave the second slot from the cpu a try and it give me a 0d qcode

Reactions: DMAN999
Sep 27, 2019
I tried with my old gpu (gtx780ti) still the same 02 qcode.. and still it wont work with 1 dram stick..

Thanks @DMAN999 for all your suggestions, I think it's more than a bios problem at this point, cause even when this problem occurs after a bios update, I doubt it would not even post once after so many tries/troubleshoot.. It would at least post to the second bios (dual bios)..

The only thing I havent give a try is using the bios flshback usb port.. This will be my final try, getting bios .cap file on asus website for my board and make sure they're properly renamed..

Reactions: DMAN999