Question MOBO Yellow light, suddenly not working?

Sep 19, 2019
Okay so I want to start from the very beginning, even though it just happened it feels like there’s quite a bit. So i go to boot up my PC and it says CPU Over voltage error, and it was showing my 3200Mhz RAM as only running at 2200MHZ, So i went to change it to 3200, and reboot the PC, kind of thinking that was the issue, well I misclicked 4200, and immediately rebooted the PC. All of a sudden, no display, so i tried to unplug everything, plug it back in and power back on, maybe that could give me sort of a hard reset. Nothing, except now my RGB ram was no longer glowing, and there was a yellow light on the motherboard. The RAM is 3200mhz Corsair vengeance, it’s been working for over a year, MOBO is Strix B450F, CPU is Ryzen 5 2600X, I’ve had literally no issues up until today

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Do This:
  1. Unplug the PC (PSU).
  2. Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  3. Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  4. Plug the PC back in.
  5. Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  6. repeatedly tap the DEL key
  7. A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  8. Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
  9. Save and exit the BIOS.
  10. Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

I have that same motherboard and I have had to do this multiple times while OCing my CPU and RAM so I know this exact method works best.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Do This:
  1. Unplug the PC (PSU).
  2. Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  3. Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  4. Plug the PC back in.
  5. Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  6. repeatedly tap the DEL key
  7. A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  8. Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
  9. Save and exit the BIOS.
  10. Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.
I have that same motherboard and I have had to do this multiple times while OCing my CPU and RAM so I know this exact method works best.
So i actually don’t know what the jumper pins are, or where they are

Sep 19, 2019
I found the pins, and did exactly as you said. Unplug from power, held button down for 45 or so seconds. Held the screwdriver on both ends of the pins for about 20-25 seconds, went a tad over to be safe, but when i boot, still a yellow light on my MOBO, RAM isn’t glowing, meaning idk if it’s being read, and still no display on either monitor

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Do you have 2 sticks of RAM ?
If so remove one stick and leave the other stick in SLOT A2 (second one from your CPU) as shown in the Manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

Then try to boot it again.
If it boots go into the BIOS and Set the Optimized default settings and save and exit.
Then put the 2nd stick of RAM into slot A2 and see if it will boot with Just that 2nd stick installed.
If it does, then you can put the Other stick into slot B2 (fourth from the CPU) and reboot.

Sep 19, 2019
Do you have 2 sticks of RAM ?
If so remove one stick and leave the other stick in SLOT A2 (second one from your CPU) as shown in the Manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

Then try to boot it again.
If it boots go into the BIOS and Set the Optimized default settings and save and exit.
Then put the 2nd stick of RAM into slot A2 and see if it will boot with Just that 2nd stick installed.
If it does, then you can put the Other stick into slot B2 (fourth from the CPU) and reboot.
Put only one stick in, into A2, booted, still no display, still a yellow light on the MOBO

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Try with just the other stick in slot A2.
If that doesn't work then try it in slot every other slot one stick at a time and see if it will boot from ANY slot.

PS
You may need to Clear the CMOS (using the method I listed above) a few times for it to work.
I had to do it 3 times once before it worked.

Sep 19, 2019
Tried it with the other stick in A2, didn’t work, and I’ve actually cleared it 3 times already. Still absolutely no display and yellow light on the MOBO still.

Sep 19, 2019
Try with just the other stick in slot A2.
If that doesn't work then try it in slot every other slot one stick at a time and see if it will boot from ANY slot.

PS
You may need to Clear the CMOS (using the method I listed above) a few times for it to work.
I had to do it 3 times once before it worked.
When you clear the CMOS you don’t remove the watch battery correct?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
No you don't have to.
But if you want to you can (for at least 5-10 minutes).
I never remove the battery unless all else fails.

The Manual actually lists the same steps I did except it doesn't tell you to hold in the Power Button.
BUT holding in the Power Button absolutely helps, it drains all the residual power from the MB.

Sep 19, 2019
I’ve got a feeling the MOBO might be dead, so I’m going to my Buddies, were going to tinker with it for a bit, and luckily a local shop carries this exact MOBO in stock. So i might end up just replacing it

Reactions: DMAN999