[SOLVED] Moca filter installation

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
We do not use rogers tv/internet, so the coax connections in our house arent being used...

I am setting up a moca 2.5 connection.

1. Should i just disconnect the coax poe cable or should i put a moca filter after it ?

2. Where is the location of the coax poe cable ? Is it in the basement or is it inside the rogers cable box outside on the wall? I can see a black coax cable coming from the utility pole into the rogers cable box. Is this the coax poe cable ? Is it possible to have two or more coax poe cables ?

3. If it is inside the rogers cable box, is it legal to open the box up ?(there is a tool that can open it)

Solution
They might not have the other end connected you never really know. Kind their fault if you could jam their signals and you were not even their customer. I mean most people do not even know what a moca filter is and why you even need one. They just buy magic boxes and hook them up.

So it depends where you live but in most place there is a little coupler on the side of the house. This has a extra wire running to some kind of ground. This ground connection is to prevent lighting from getting into the house. It is required by law in a lot of cases.

You should be able to unscrew the end of the cable going into the house at that point.

Now they might have that in their box but it really depends on why they have a box in the...
They might not have the other end connected you never really know. Kind their fault if you could jam their signals and you were not even their customer. I mean most people do not even know what a moca filter is and why you even need one. They just buy magic boxes and hook them up.

So it depends where you live but in most place there is a little coupler on the side of the house. This has a extra wire running to some kind of ground. This ground connection is to prevent lighting from getting into the house. It is required by law in a lot of cases.

You should be able to unscrew the end of the cable going into the house at that point.

Now they might have that in their box but it really depends on why they have a box in the first place. Most times there is no electronics at your house it is just a wire. Now they might have put a phone connection in the box but that would require power also.

In any case there should be some wire that comes into the house and at some point connects to all the splitters. All you do is disconnect the cable from the outside. I guess you could put in a filter but disconnecting it would be simpler. In effect that is all the filter is doing it is disconnecting the part of the signal moca uses from the cable.

Reactions: knowledge2121
Solution