[SOLVED] MOCA setup not working

Sep 1, 2019
Hi, I am trying to get Ethernet in my room via Moca but it is not working. This is my setup.

Xfinity Gateway in the living room (Moca enabled)

Then I have a WCB 3000N in my room connected to the wall via the coax cable. My problem is that the coax light on the adapter is not on, just the power, Ethernet and 5g/2.4g. The adapter is connected to the wall using a normal coax cable and Moca is enabled on the xfinity gateway. What am I missing here?

Solution
Hmm ok. If I temporarily move my Xfinity Gateway to this room, connect it to my port and it works, then theoretically the MoCa would work right? Then the problem would be from my adapter, not the connections
Not guaranteed. If there is a splitter somewhere that won't let the MoCA traffic pass between the two ports, then it won't work. I would get a new MoCA compatible splitter and a couple short coax pieces and set everything up in one room. Verify it all works with 3 foot coax pieces. That way you know the MoCA portion is checked out. THEN you go troubleshoot your wiring if required.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I am trying to get Ethernet in my room via Moca but it is not working. This is my setup.

Xfinity Gateway in the living room (Moca enabled)

Then I have a WCB 3000N in my room connected to the wall via the coax cable. My problem is that the coax light on the adapter is not on, just the power, Ethernet and 5g/2.4g. The adapter is connected to the wall using a normal coax cable and Moca is enabled on the xfinity gateway. What am I missing here?
You wall cable may not be connected to anything. Or might be connected to a splitter that isn't compatible with MoCA.

Sep 1, 2019
You need to figure out where the other end of that coax goes. Tracing coax isn't always easy.
Hmm ok. If I temporarily move my Xfinity Gateway to this room, connect it to my port and it works, then theoretically the MoCa would work right? Then the problem would be from my adapter, not the connections

kanewolf

Titan
Not guaranteed. If there is a splitter somewhere that won't let the MoCA traffic pass between the two ports, then it won't work. I would get a new MoCA compatible splitter and a couple short coax pieces and set everything up in one room. Verify it all works with 3 foot coax pieces. That way you know the MoCA portion is checked out. THEN you go troubleshoot your wiring if required.

Solution
To me this would be a valid test becaues if your xfinity gateway can get moca to both locations then it should be able to connect to another moca device at either location.

However, the best way to test the moca is to simply move the WCB 3000N to where the xfinity box is and see if they will connect to each other via moca (don't worry about the Internet--just make sure they sync on moca).

Once you've confirmed that, you know that they can connect to each other and combined with the previous test of moving your gateway, we can start diagnosing more in depth.

Sep 1, 2019
Plugging my router in my socket didn't work, but I did try what you suggested with the mini system and the splitters and the coax light turned on, so the problem isn't with the adapter but with my port, so I'll be contacting Comcast/My apartment to get it fixed soon enough hopefully. Thanks for the help anyway

If you have access to your apartment demarc (usually is accessible in newer constructions), you can simply use your test splitter to redo your wiring on your own, putting the moca splitter between the gateway and your room with the comcast source as input. If you don't need cable in any of the other rooms, this will work out fine and you should be up and running.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Not sure on your setup, but for a Moca system and you are connected to cable internet, you should get a technician. The cable company needs to make sure there is a filter on their end in order to make sure there isn't moca traffic getting back on their lines or on non-moca devices.
Its not too difficult to setup if you understand how coax works. It's very easy if all the coax are home runs to a single point. However, moca connections have issues with splitters on return. A splitter might drop the signal by 3.5db to a device, but decrease it by 15 dB going the other way. The wire also needs to be atleast rg6 so it can transport frequencies over 1000 mhz.

Reactions: SamirD