[SOLVED] Mod 20-Pin Connector to 24-Pin?

James Eckmeder

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
So I have a PSU with a 20-Pin connector and I want to be able to use it on a 24-Pin motherboard, I know the extra 4 pins aren't necessary but I want to use a GPU that will need the extra power from the 4 pins. Anyone know of a mod? (The PSU is an Antec True 550 550w)

Solution
I chose Antec because I know that they are a good brand.

They do have some good PSUs. But if this is a True Power 550W with a 20-pin power connector, then I'm thinking this is the unit with the two 80mm fans. That means it's 20 years old. It's not meant to run for 20 years. In fact, this is a unit that had known issues with swelling OST capacitors. Which means the PSU still outputs power, but it's not properly regulated and filtered, so it's actually slowly killing your hardware downstream.
I know the extra pins aren't for the GPU

Then why did you say:

I want to use a GPU that will need the extra power from the 4 pins.

There is, but I'm not going to share it with you because it's irresponsible to be still using that old of a PSU on a modern PC.

It would be like me giving you advice on how to murder your family and hide the evidence.

James Eckmeder

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
There is, but I'm not going to share it with you because it's irresponsible to be still using that old of a PSU on a modern PC.

It would be like me giving you advice on how to murder your family and hide the evidence.
Im not using a modern PC, the PC is 10 years old and is still pretty powerful today (it's an Optiplex 780) iv'e used the PSU in it without problems but the GPU I want to use gets all its power from the PCI-E slot but it can't get the extra power without the 4 pins.

I chose Antec because I know that they are a good brand.

They do have some good PSUs. But if this is a True Power 550W with a 20-pin power connector, then I'm thinking this is the unit with the two 80mm fans. That means it's 20 years old. It's not meant to run for 20 years. In fact, this is a unit that had known issues with swelling OST capacitors. Which means the PSU still outputs power, but it's not properly regulated and filtered, so it's actually slowly killing your hardware downstream.

Solution

James Eckmeder

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
Huh, didn't know that. Can you recommend me a good 550w to 600w PSU with a budget of $50-$75?