[SOLVED] Modding 3 fans on GTX970 heatsink

Solution
Oh, I see. Yes that's pretty straight forward, its all color coded. I skimmed through the guide, I knew I had to rewire, but didn't notice the GPU fan 4 pin was actually smaller.

My main concern is running 3 Arctic F8s in the GPU fan connector with a fan splitter. The 970 only has two fans, so i'm not sure if it will power all 3. It would be nice to have fan curve on all of them.
Well if most headers are rated for 1A of power - the liquid cooling specific ones are 2A...
1x Arctic F8: 0.14A
X3 = 0.42A
You should be good there.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's a square fan frame though... how would you even fit that under the gpu shroud? Maybe you're intending to toss it?:unsure:
You'd also be looking to use this, because the fan headers/connectors use some kind of mini connector - a full sized 4pin won't fit.

Probably best to find the part number beneath the gpu's fans themselves, look it up and go from there...
Or get one of those Arctic Accelero Extreme or Rajintek Morpheus kits.
¯\(ツ)

DrGreen

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
The replacement fans are hard to find and are way to expensive for what they are. I'd get much better cooling with these 3 fans for the same price or cheaper.

I was planning on just tossing the shroud and use some zip ties to keep the fans in place.

According to this guide, he used Noctua NF-A8, which are the same size 4 pins as the Arctic F8s, aren't they?

Also the Arctic Accelero Extreme is $130 Canadian, not worth it for a GTX 970.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
According to this guide, he used Noctua NF-A8, which are the same size 4 pins as the Arctic F8s, aren't they?
I'm referring to this:
TFO_0335.JPG

Note that little lone fan connector and the header - the white shielding on the PCB.

Arctic F8 connector(Noctua uses the same one):
Arctic-F8-PWM-4pin-8cm-80mm-800-2000rpm-Cooler-cooling-fan-temperature-control-silent-fan-Genuine.jpg_q50.jpg

The author of that guide cut the connector off the original fan and the new fan, and then soldered the original fan's connector to the new fan.
Are you familiar with doing that?

DrGreen

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Oh, I see. Yes that's pretty straight forward, its all color coded. I skimmed through the guide, I knew I had to rewire, but didn't notice the GPU fan 4 pin was actually smaller.

My main concern is running 3 Arctic F8s in the GPU fan connector with a fan splitter. The 970 only has two fans, so i'm not sure if it will power all 3. It would be nice to have fan curve on all of them.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Well if most headers are rated for 1A of power - the liquid cooling specific ones are 2A...
1x Arctic F8: 0.14A
X3 = 0.42A
You should be good there.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS