Question Modem, 2 routers and outdoor range extender🙁help

01sweetgirl

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
I did read how to ask for help and im just going to be honest, i dont know how to access much of the information and will pbly need to be walked through it. Im pretty overwhelmed and under educated in this subject and hope someone has the patience to help me. So what i did was basically created a diagram of what i have going on, and if anyone has any ideas and can help me figure this out ill try to answer whatever questions i can with direction. Thank you so much in advance!
Diagram i hope i attached this correctly.

kanewolf

Titan
I did read how to ask for help and im just going to be honest, i dont know how to access much of the information and will pbly need to be walked through it. Im pretty overwhelmed and under educated in this subject and hope someone has the patience to help me. So what i did was basically created a diagram of what i have going on, and if anyone has any ideas and can help me figure this out ill try to answer whatever questions i can with direction. Thank you so much in advance!
Diagram i hope i attached this correctly.
First thing, you will NEVER get 300 ft distance to a WIFI camera. Not going to happen. The camera transmits in a non-directional mode. Even if it gets a signal from the AP, it can't reliably broadcast back.
Can you post a link to the "AC1200 high power outdoor AP" ?

I would make sure you use a different SSID on the "extender" /AP so you are sure you know where the camera is connecting. If you are using the same it might be doing something stupid like connecting to the main router if it can get signal.

In general all the ethernet connection between the router and the AP are invisible to the end device. The router is also stupid it thinks the end device is plugged in via a ethernet cable it does not know there is a AP that has converted the signal from wifi to ethernet.
It is not likely a setting on the router it would have to be something on the AP/extender

Outdoor wifi can be very tricky. It takes very little to disrupt the signal. Be very sure you have clear line of site between the 2 devices. Even leaves on a tree block lots of signal.

As mentioned by kanewolf 300ft is a long way. Your signal will be fairly weak and that assumes the camera sends at the legal maximum to begin with. If there are other wifi signals around they can more easily damage a weak signal. Direction antenna are used to increase the signal levels as well as reduce the noise signals from other users outside the beam between the 2 units.

Is the wireless camera rechargeable, or does it have a power outlet? Is it attached to an separate shed or garage or something with power.

If it shares power with the main building on a sub-panel or just an outlet with a breaker to the main panel in the main house. You can use powerline adapters to give it internet access. They even make powerline wifi extenders so you can have wifi at that location as well.

01sweetgirl

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2013
You guys are all awesome. The knowledge just never ceases to amaze me! Yes i will find a link and post it asap. Actually its posted at bottom. And from the responses ive gotten, im now thinking i would definitely need to switch to a directional. If i could get power 100 plus feet out isnt there a mode that will extend the signal just from the wireless signal, for example if i added another device however far out i could get that signal? I live on five acres in a rural area so i dont think im getting much interference. Maybe i should ask how much distance can i get out of an ethernet cord if i were to get a wired camera? Maybe that would be less of a headache. I do not have the camera yet but i was planning on solar. And waiting to see what im going to be able to do to get it hooked up to the network, i think that maybe i was naievly assuming that wireless would be the least trouble? And my property has a lot of pine trees, im gonna have to get even a directional up pretty dang high to get line of site. If i could use poe to a camera i could avoid the solar as well too couldnt I? Just run the cable from location 3 to 4, with voltage drop and all how much distance could i expect to get? And no the camera location is about halfway down my driveway, no power or anything up there. Powerline adapters, id heard of them but didnt know exactly what they did, im gonna have to look into those for my house and my rental, which are the first two buildings.
Ive been going crazy trying to figure out how to do this for over a year as i was waiting to get power to the 3rd building. I cant believe i just didnt come to where i know id get straight forward, real world experience, helpful answers🙄
I ended up contacting wavlink and they were surprisingly helpful and willing to instruct me through some things to be sure the unit was not defective and all. After i got the unit back down safely from way up beyond my garage roof, in the rain, what a sight i must have been, lol, just trust me,🤣i took it in and reset it and hooked back up to it and did a firmware update and ran it wired to my laptop just to be sure it was just the wireless or whatever, and somehow by the time i was thoroughly frustrated with the entire thing and my mental block for anything networking related i realized it had been on for a good half hour without any drops…. Im gonna cross my fingers, and try to get some work done up there tomorrow and see if i somehow fixed the problem. That would be such a relief.
i really appreciate the responses and if its not a pain id love to know what you guys think about running the camera wired vs wireless in this particular situation. Like i said i have been waiting to purchase the camera just because i wanted to know for sure how i was gonna be able to hook it up to both power and internet. Maybe i need to switch threads for that?
and i hope this is the right link for what ive got up there. Wavlink unit
Thanks again and again and again😁❤️

kanewolf

Titan
You guys are all awesome. The knowledge just never ceases to amaze me! Yes i will find a link and post it asap. Actually its posted at bottom. And from the responses ive gotten, im now thinking i would definitely need to switch to a directional. If i could get power 100 plus feet out isnt there a mode that will extend the signal just from the wireless signal, for example if i added another device however far out i could get that signal? I live on five acres in a rural area so i dont think im getting much interference. Maybe i should ask how much distance can i get out of an ethernet cord if i were to get a wired camera? Maybe that would be less of a headache. I do not have the camera yet but i was planning on solar. And waiting to see what im going to be able to do to get it hooked up to the network, i think that maybe i was naievly assuming that wireless would be the least trouble? And my property has a lot of pine trees, im gonna have to get even a directional up pretty dang high to get line of site. If i could use poe to a camera i could avoid the solar as well too couldnt I? Just run the cable from location 3 to 4, with voltage drop and all how much distance could i expect to get? And no the camera location is about halfway down my driveway, no power or anything up there. Powerline adapters, id heard of them but didnt know exactly what they did, im gonna have to look into those for my house and my rental, which are the first two buildings.
Ive been going crazy trying to figure out how to do this for over a year as i was waiting to get power to the 3rd building. I cant believe i just didnt come to where i know id get straight forward, real world experience, helpful answers🙄
I ended up contacting wavlink and they were surprisingly helpful and willing to instruct me through some things to be sure the unit was not defective and all. After i got the unit back down safely from way up beyond my garage roof, in the rain, what a sight i must have been, lol, just trust me,🤣i took it in and reset it and hooked back up to it and did a firmware update and ran it wired to my laptop just to be sure it was just the wireless or whatever, and somehow by the time i was thoroughly frustrated with the entire thing and my mental block for anything networking related i realized it had been on for a good half hour without any drops…. Im gonna cross my fingers, and try to get some work done up there tomorrow and see if i somehow fixed the problem. That would be such a relief.
i really appreciate the responses and if its not a pain id love to know what you guys think about running the camera wired vs wireless in this particular situation. Like i said i have been waiting to purchase the camera just because i wanted to know for sure how i was gonna be able to hook it up to both power and internet. Maybe i need to switch threads for that?
and i hope this is the right link for what ive got up there. Wavlink unit
Thanks again and again and again😁❤
Copper ethernet spec limit is 100m. POE can work that far, but you need quality cable. POE can avoid the need for solar or AC power. Trees will kill any wireless link.
Coax can provide high speed network at distance greater than 100m with the correct adapters.
A google earth picture, annotated with distances, desired WIFI coverage, camera locations, and power can help us help you.

Instead of cobbling a solution together, if you have access to a backhoe, ditchwitch or even just a trenching shovel. I would buy some direct burial gel infused ethernet wire. Make sure it's POE capable and preferable 23awg real copper, not CCA. You can get away with digging down 6-8inches, so you can use a trenching shovel when the ground is a little wet. But ideally it should be done with a ditch witch or backhoe about 18-24 inches down.

Then you can just use POE to power the camera. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/trueCABLE-Direct-Waterproof-Unshielded-Ethernet/dp/B08PG3R9SM

Ethernet is rated for 100meters(328feet), but will work somewhat longer than that. It's just not guaranteed since it's outside of specifications. But it's not like at 329feet the signal just stops working.